Spiders.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milo

Guru
My sister is really not happy about thunder and lightning. She's trying very hard not to let that influence her boys - I've been there when it thundered, and she's been sitting there forcing herself to be casual, instead of doing what she wants to do, which is hide in the cupboard under the stairs.

Incidentally, that's not down to our parents or nurture. I'm completely relaxed about thunder and lightning, bar the one occasion I was caught out in a storm on top of a moor, and even then, I just took what action I could to minimise risk, hunkered down and waited for it to pass. And she's not bothered by spiders and stuff. Thunder is just the thing she's scared of.
Ugh got caught in lightning once in MId Wales walking. Not very nice at all when you can actually see it hitting things.

Canrider

Guru
Apparently (no source I can recall) the reason spiders get stuck in the bath is they're quite literally parched, living in what amounts to an artificially water-poor environment. So they have to take a chance to try and secure some water and wind up in this F_ing huge white thing that had a bit of water in it but is impossible to get back out of.

(Look away now, arachnophobes)
Also apparently (again no source), this same lack of water sources means the average person will eat a half-dozen spiders in their lifetime. While you're sleeping with your mouth open, if you really must know..and all it wanted was a drink!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I clean windows for a living so i encounter spiders every day. They annoy me with their nests in the corners of windows and their cobwebs all over the place but i hate to harm them. The liquid i used before killed them on contact so i changed to an organic one. I still see them struggling but what can i do? I'm that soft if i can find a tap or a puddle i'll wash the soap off, and on occasions i've seen them run off to live another day!:smile:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
(Look away now, arachnophobes)
Also apparently (again no source), this same lack of water sources means the average person will eat a half-dozen spiders in their lifetime. While you're sleeping with your mouth open, if you really must know..and all it wanted was a drink!

Apparantly this is a myth and has been since it was generated in 1993

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Does it come up into the bath sometimes? If you leave a towel or something hanging over the edge, down into the bath, it'll have something to climb up to get out of the bath and get away.

(It'll probably come and visit you in the kitchen!)

I left a towel over the edge of the bath so that the huge tarantula like creature could escape....but when I came back an hour later it had had a bath and was just drying itself off!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We've had one all summer living in my kitchen window - (just out of reach of the family who would remove her), and it was interesting to watch as she would catch lots of large flies and then store them. Sadly she seems to have passed away as I haven't seen any activity from her lately. (Yes my Mum would scold me for leaving the web there but she was doing such a good job).

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I should have thought to check snopes !

Sometimes we want the 'fact' to be true so much that its dodgy provenance is discarded.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I don't like spiders either, won't go near them. My mother in law, will pick em up! Ugh! But then she a test pilot in a broom factory. My big fear though is moths, I bloody hate moths, no idea why, but I can not be in the same room as them.

Top Bottom