Spiked ice tyres

Do I bother fitting ice tyres for the commute tomorrow?

• Yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
It'll be -1° when I go to work tomorrow.
But, most of the roads I use are fairly traffic heavy, so the ice will probably have gone.

Do I go to the effort of swapping out my tyres for the ice ones tonight or not?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It depends if there are any sneaky little bits where ice congregates and whether you're on a flighty fast bike that will throw you at the floor at the first sign of ice or a sturdy roadster which might spin a bit first.

I would but our roads are full of sneaky bits.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I rode on -4.5 Purley to Horley and then 5 miles on country exposed roads -6.5 I just stayed in the part of the road where the nearside car wheel goes on the latter part. The only time I would be worried is if it had rained recently and then sustained cold temps. Daytime temps were 6 today so can't see it being a problem TBH

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Living and commuting into SE London for gawd knows how many years. I have never found the need for studded tyres. Even using back streets/non busy roads. It was minus 4 this morning, bit of ice and frost about, but nothing to bother the bike.
You're in SW so can imagine our roads are pretty similar, so voted no..

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
On the other hand, I've been complaining that I haven't had the opportunity to use the spiked tyres!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Depends... If just frosty no you should be ok, but if you are cycling places where idiots have used water to melt their windscreens or major hills/bends at speed I would want them on. How long would it take, it only took me about 20 mins to do the tyre swap (though a little longer to sort out the mudguard rub).

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I voted yes, but I live in Scotland, have an ice bike ready since October, and used it many times since then. :cold:

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I didn't bother, and it was the right decision.
The car wasn't iced up, which was a good indicator, and the roads were fine.

Spartak