Spin Bike - Achilles Pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pfchang

I've been doing about an hour on a spin bike 5 days a week (and then jogging for the 6th, 7th I take off) for about a month and a half now, but just this past week both of my achilles have started bothering me. They only hurt a little bit, but they feel tense and I occassionally get a "zing" feeling. They feel very "precarious" so I'm taking a break.

I've read that pedaling too much on your toes can cause this (see here http://www.caree.org/bike101bikefit.htm ) and I've made the necessary adjustments for that. I will try spinning again in about a week, but I was wondering if anyone else has any other suggestions.

Other things to note: I'm using a Sunny Health and Fitness SF-B904 spin bike (quite cheap, but the only magnetic spin bike I could find in my price range). The highest resistance level isn't much to speak of so I quickly found myself needing to constantly sprint (not sure if this could increase the chances of injury). I plan to add more resistance by adding extra magnets. The bike is quite small--it just barely fits me at my height of 6'2", but I'm still well under the weight limit.

Sandra6

Veteran
You could be overusing that particular muscle, you might have injured it and now you're causing further damage, it could be "one of those things"
A few weeks after I started spinning regularly I got a lot of swelling in my feet, the nurse practitioner diagnosed " you've done something to it".
I had a break from spinning then went back in more gently and built back up. No more issues with my feet.
I'd ease back on the exercise, 5 days is a lot especially as your "rest days" are given to running. Cut back and see how the tendon feels in a couple of weeks.

screenman

Legendary Member
Do you do any stretching? sounds like over use to me. I hasten to add I am not in any way medically trained.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Saddle too high?
I can get achilles tendonitis if my saddle is a bit high, and knee issues if it's too low, so it's a bit of a fine balance for me.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Do you use different positions? In my spin class it's as follows

1-sat in the saddle
2-Stood up tall, hands on the bars lightly closest to you
3-hands furthest away on the bars whilst stood
4-Hover. Crooked down, but bum not on the saddle.

There are different tempo tracks, either a quick running track, steady climbing tracks and usually a sprint to finish.

The resistance is usually added in full or half turns on verses and choruses.

I'm just back from a session, and although it's tough it's quite low impact as you're never stuck in the same position for more than a couple of minutes.

Then streeeeeeeeetch, including shoulders and back!

Top Bottom