Spin or grind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
On a slightly more serious note is there a reasonably reliable technique for working out cadence without a computer. I find it impossible to count pedal rotations and seconds at the same time.
If you know what speed you are doing, just calculate it from your gear ratio!

Cadence (rpm) x 60 (mins per hour) x gear ratio x circumference of wheel in metres / 1,000 (metres per km) = speed in kms/hour

Gear ratio = teeth on big ring / teeth on sprocket

Circumference of 23C tyre is about 2.1 m according to the table on this page (other common tyre sizes included)

So, your cadence if you are in a 53/13 gear, with 23C tyres and riding at 40 km/hr would be (40 x 13 x 1,000)/(60 x 53 x 2.1) or about 78 rpm

If you fancy some other numbers ... 25 mph = 1.609 x 25 km/hr = 40.22 km/hr. Let's assume a 52/14 gear (top gear on my Basso)...

Cadence = (40.22 x 14 x 1,000)/(60 x 52 x 2.1) or about 86 rpm.

I tend to spin out on descents in my 52/14 gear at about 38 mph or 61.1 km/hr. That means my maximum cadence is about 130 rpm. I could probably manage a little bit more but really anything over 120 rpm feels too high for me.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
being a heavier chap I run out of gears on the hills quicker than smaller fellows so i end up grinding earlier on the slopes....as the pain in my hip today is testament to.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
being a heavier chap I run out of gears on the hills quicker than smaller fellows so i end up grinding earlier on the slopes....as the pain in my hip today is testament to.
Er, do your joints a favour and get some lower gears on your bike!

I rode my Cannondale in the local hills for a while and found that its 39/29 bottom gear was too much for my joints when I weighed over 16 stone and was tackling gradients exceeding 15%, and sometimes 20%.

It's not a fitness thing - I got up them - it's a wear and tear on the body thing!

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
Well, some very technical answers! This wasn't even an issue with me until yesterday morning. I tried spinning home again, and it's so much easier on me. And i'm surprised i'm no slower.
I'm going to keep chipping away at this and see how it goes. As for counting your cadence, i'll wait until i'm back cycling in the daylight, so i can see my watch!

Rando

Veteran
If you know what speed you are doing, just calculate it from your gear ratio!

Cadence (rpm) x 60 (mins per hour) x gear ratio x circumference of wheel in metres / 1,000 (metres per km) = speed in kms/hour

Gear ratio = teeth on big ring / teeth on sprocket

Circumference of 23C tyre is about 2.1 m according to the table on this page (other common tyre sizes included)

So, your cadence if you are in a 53/13 gear, with 23C tyres and riding at 40 km/hr would be (40 x 13 x 1,000)/(60 x 53 x 2.1) or about 78 rpm

If you fancy some other numbers ... 25 mph = 1.609 x 25 km/hr = 40.22 km/hr. Let's assume a 52/14 gear (top gear on my Basso)...

Cadence = (40.22 x 14 x 1,000)/(60 x 52 x 2.1) or about 86 rpm.

I tend to spin out on descents in my 52/14 gear at about 38 mph or 61.1 km/hr. That means my maximum cadence is about 130 rpm. I could probably manage a little bit more but really anything over 120 rpm feels too high for me.

whoooooosh straight over my head!! Far too complicated for me so I just purchased a garmin cadence sensor as I already had the garmin 800.
I average about 95rpm on my rides of 40-50 miles.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
is there an option for pootler? I try to spin but it is not a natural feeling for me and requires constant concentration to maintain.
Same here: I prefer grinding. As I learned from you learned folk :smile: that grinding is bad for your joints, I try to spin when I remember.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Someone did say to me once that I would make a good fixie rider as I spin quite quickly.
You mean to tell us you don't have a fixie, i thought any one who does the miles you do would have one.^_^

Blurb

Über Member
Spin - my knees are a natural cadence monitor. Too low and a grumble they will.
Having said that, I did pick up a saying from someone on here along the lines of , if your legs are screaming use a lower gear, if your lungs are bursting use a higher one, and apply it as best I can whenever I remember.

uclown2002

Guru
Absolutely no idea. Wherever possible I put it in a gear that feels comfortable (neither too hard or easy) and simply turn the pedals....repeatedly.

Top Bottom