Spinner, Grinder, Honker, or other

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
These days I am a spinner.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Once, when fully loaded (bike with gear weighed 6½ stone) on a long but not especially steep incline and me being very depleted due to overstretching my limits, I didn't have the energy to keep going in bottom gear (20") and I didn't have the energy to get off and push. I ended up straddling the top tube, feet on the ground and shuffling up the hill. The brakes came in handy when I needed to stop for a breather.

Once, ascending a steep hill on the tandem, one child on kiddycranks, one in a childseat and the third in the trailer*, we came to a halt.

I put my feet down for a rest, only to slowly start sliding down the damp tarmac as the friction from my soles was insufficient to overcome the gravity of my load.

We lived to tell the tale, but maybe there's yet another category, Slidr...

*all of these configurations happened at various times, but I don't actually recall how many were on the tandem that day. Shockingly, it is possible I'm exaggerating the loading

a.twiddler

Veteran
How about downhill technique. I'm definitely a freewheeler and braker. I always regard a medium downhill as time to have a stretch and a drink and stop pedalling, and a steeper downhill as time to use the brakes to keep the speed down. I have a friend I ride with sometimes who gives it full on effort on the medium bits, while I'm having a rest and a stretch, and disappears into the distance. And on the steep bits, well - if he doesn't wait for me at the bottom then that's the last we see of each other.
I am at heart a freewheeler. Once I get to about 12mph I'm inclined to stop pedalling and just roll downhill. Recumbent riding has slightly spoilt that for me because in some situations a little bit of downhill pedalling can increase the speed way out of proportion to the effort I put in but deep down I know that downhill+pedalling are not words that belong together. As far as brakes are concerned I'm definitely not one to hurtle up to obstacles and heave on the anchors. Having got up to speed I'm more likely to let speed drop naturally and enjoy conservation of momentum until I have to stop. My brake shoes will probably last forever.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Spinner, but can push big Watts especially in a sprint. Thinking about it I spin at sprints too, reaching 140rpm

sasquath

If one enters jokingly titled thread, full of jokes and innuendoes, and gets offended by one or two comments one can personally relate to, then the real question is about how deep one's head is up ones own ass.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
If one enters jokingly titled thread, full of jokes and innuendoes, and gets offended by one or two comments one can personally relate to, then the real question is about how deep one's head is up ones own ass.
who got offended???? seems there's only one with his head up his own ass on this thread......and for a new member, you aint half got some nerve making comments like the one above....

some of us have had to put up with anti e-bike bollox on this forum for quite some time now, but its ok, as it was just said in jest.....more bollox

Top Bottom