Spinning Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Yep, done it fella; still didn't work for me like a spinning bike does. Funny, eh?

You have to do what is right for you, if a spin bike it is then go for it I would.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
THIS was the one I had, a Johnny G Spinner Pro that was an ex-gym commercial grade bike.

There was some surface corrosion on the frame and flywheel, (obviously from sweat which is inevitable), but I had no doubt it would have lasted virtually forever.

FWIW even the BB was a standard Shimano UN55 making maintenance a doddle.

TBH I simply couldn't get motivated to use it, for the same reasons turbos make me want to blow my brains out!

That said if you want one I'd definitely recommend an ex-gym commercial grade one.

Are you saying then that the two I linked, particularly the Nordic Track are not commercial grade then Smokeysmoo?

Thanks for the input by the way, the Schwinn looks nice.

Oh yes, the other variable I forget folks is the finer half - she wants to spin too and a bike on a turbo won't work given we are different sizes.

Are you saying then that the two I linked, particularly the Nordic Track are not commercial grade then Smokeysmoo
Not IMO no, but they're clearly much better than an Argos jobbie and would probably be absolutely fine.

THIS refurbished Star Trac Johnny G for example is £550, so you can start to appreciate the brand new cost of the full on commercial bikes. IIRC the new cost of the Schwinn I had would have been IRO £2.5k :eek:

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Not IMO no, but they're clearly much better than an Argos jobbie and would probably be absolutely fine.

THIS refurbished Star Trac Johnny G for example is £550, so you can start to appreciate the brand new cost of the full on commercial bikes. IIRC the new cost of the Schwinn I had would have been IRO £2.5k :eek:

Okay, for 2.5k I'd probably buy a Watt bike.

rb58

Enigma
I have also been considering a cycle trainer for home. I'm a regular spinner in the gym where we use the Keiser M3+, which is an incredibly strong, but simple machine and ideal if you want to get out of the saddle a lot. However, the one that caught my eye was the new Kettler Racer 9 which has bar end shifters on the TT bars simulating gear changes on the bike. Both the Keiser and Kettler use magnetic resistance which I think makes them quieter. However, they are both expensive bits of kit - new they're £1300. I've been told by someone who is a regular Watt bike user that they're quite noisy. I'm not sure that helps as both are over your budget, but you can pick up used Keisers off Fleabay considerably cheaper.

Top Bottom