Spinning Classes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
SilverSurfer said:
I love spinning. Most of my cycling buddies hate it cos it's 'not like cycling'.

I think that they struggle with the abstract. I find it a bit like cartoon cycling and can end up in a trance-like state with eyes closed.

I even get excited before we start on the 'journey'. :laugh:

Sometimes I even prefer spinning to real cycling. :sad:

I'm strange I guess.

Nothing beats being outside on a bike, but I share your enthusiasm about spinning classes! :smile:

SilverSurfer

Yeah that last one only really applies when things are a bit stale and samey

I've been to my first spinning class this evening. My mate has been asking me to go for weeks, so I did. It was good. I found it really hard but enjoyed it. I went because I need to build up my general fitness & loose weight & my mate has been doing spinning classes since March & looks great. I am going to find a class nearer to home though as this one is 7pm and near work so I had over an hours drive to get home after the class, making the day a very long one! :smile:

Ranger

I think someone must have upset our spin instructor before the lesson, he warned us at the beginning that the resistance would only be going one way after the warm up. I thought he was joking.

It was 45 minutes of pain, at one point I put a quarter of a turn on and the pedals just stopped. I couldn't even turn them over standing up, most of us could barely walk out of the class at the endxx(

montage

God Almighty
Dayvo said:
Nothing beats being outside on a bike, but I share your enthusiasm about spinning cl asses! :whistle:

Agreed

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Must be cat flu kicking in as I have ended up with 6 SPIN classes to cover this week.. anyways I dont normally add to the nutrition argument about protein and carbs.. I leave that to the others who have their opinions guided by party lines..
but I do want to bring to attention a bit of a bargain for us who needt o have help with muscle repair and sadly what can afflict some of us = hypotrophy despite best efforts..
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=1892&prodid=2070

It on very good offer..
this not only has magnesium but also a protein hit of 35gms per 100gms .. can't be bad
and
full of ya luvverly oils as well..

now for me second carbo loading
:evil:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Sorry, really late in finding this one.....

I used to be an avid fan of "spin" classes… I took 3 classes a week (sometimes two hours long each) and loved them, lost over 2 stone and was the fittest I had been in a few years. I felt invincible after every class and usually went on to do around 30 minutes weights and then a swim 40 lengths (front crawl at pace) straignt after the class...seriously, it was fantastic

But.

It's hard work, especially on the heart.

I used to go to Virgin health in Bromley (previously Holmes place) and I am afraid to tell you that two of the guys I rode with both suffered heart attacks "on the bike" and tragically died as a result, one in the room whilst the class looked on in horror.

In addition, one of the instructor's that I had, suffered an aneurism whilst taking the class and collapsed vomiting and was rushed to hospital for emmergency brain surgery (she made a full recovery) admittedly this could have struck at any time ....and she was a multi-marathon athlete so was extremely fit.

The other instructor who witnessed both fatal heart attacks, can no longer take a class, I recall her name way Yvette, (she was fab and now does circuit training I believe)

I cancelled my classes due to work changes (not the above) and subsequently cancelled my gym membership as I took up riding to work instead (a great move).

This issue was not reported in any local papers and never made any headlines (that i noticed) despite a senior police officer attending to one of the victims and complaining about lack of CPR equipment within the facility.

Sorry to be so frank about a really tragic occurrence (especially if anyone is known or related to the two chaps in that I mentioned) but the impact of spin classes on the un-trained cannot be underestimated.

Take it really easy for a good few weeks before trying to keep up with the hard core spinners

I am Spartacus

Über Member
jonny jeez said:
[ complaining about lack of CPR equipment within the facility

Quite a story ;)
The only CPR equipment you actually need is
the training on how to administer it
A loud voice to shout for help
A phone to make that 999 call

If you manage to keep a heart attack victim alive using CPR until the paramedic arrives then you have fulfilled your side of the bargain

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I am Spartacus said:

Glad you found it ....."amusing" .....B)

Spartacus, you seem to be in "this game" perhaps you can contact somebody down at Virgin Active in Bromley, Kent 020 8290 8900..preferebly Yvette and find out exactly what it was that the PC in question was complaining about (She may have wanted to see CPR kit on hand, maybe re-sus kit, I'm not a Doctor, so I apologise if my terminology is not correct)

I am Spartacus

Über Member
No I am not being frivolous at all... but I have had a few years under me belt in the fitness game and have YET (touch wood) to be confronted by a potential life and death situation brought on by over exertion...
All instructors should have a current CPR cert.
Again all your need is the knowledge and training.... Red Cross etc
The plod may have been thinking about de fibs.. only some establishments have them.

However this is the point.. we are NOT medics.. I would NOT like to shoot a cardiac arrest bod with whatever volts these things have...
It has been proven time and time again that CPR can save lives if you knuckle down and get on with it UNTIL the emergency services arrive on scene.
Everyone can do their bit
http://www.redcross.org.uk/standard.asp?id=40686

Ranger

jonny jeez said:
Glad you found it ....."amusing" .....B)

Spartacus, you seem to be in "this game" perhaps you can contact somebody down at Virgin Active in Bromley, Kent 020 8290 8900..preferebly Yvette and find out exactly what it was that the PC in question was complaining about (She may have wanted to see CPR kit on hand, maybe re-sus kit, I'm not a Doctor, so I apologise if my terminology is not correct)

The reply may not have been amusing, but the fact is a PC (or even a senior police officer) is not someone I would take advice on first aid requirements from. They may have been talking about a defibrillator, but these are only an option in certain cases and you wouldn't have been able to tell at the scene if this was one of those.

However, I would expect gym instructors to be trained in first aid and know how to administer CPR until a paramedic arrives. Unfortunately, despite what is shown on TV you are very, very unlikely to restart someone's heart through CPR, you need to rely on the paramedic with their pharmacy and all the right kit.

Top Bottom