Spinning Classes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crash

It wasn't the usual instructor and normal service will resume next week ;)

TBH it seemed like a crap idea

Spartacus as a spinning instructor do you find some people use the classes as a social activity and not as a means to get fit ?

Looking around yesterday i got the impression that some of them were not even interested in breaking into a sweat !!!!

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Good question!
Yes, you can get the occasional 'chatterbox' and mate ( I am not going to divulge the gender).
I don't get it often.
When I have had to deal with in the past.. the solution I use.. this may differ form instructor to instructor..
I will not make an issue of it during the class as that can be as disruptive...
I tend to find myself racking up the ante after the warm up.. I will use my 'steely gaze ' ;) to focus on said people who seem to have breath enough to continue to gossip..
Somehow, after I have encouraged the workload upwards.. miraculously, they dont have capacity left in them to make conversation worthwhile....too busy getting on with what they are supposed to be there for.

As to some not breaking a sweat... well there isnt a great deal you can physically do.
This is where the instructor needs to vocalise the benefits of CV work and to encourage good technique. Thats the job of an instructor.

That said.. rapport is good.. but in my local council classes, I get a higher number of freshers.. and they tend to be quieter and prone to stick to the back of the class.

All in all it is not a big problem for me.

Crash

Yeah I don't think as such it was a problem, i just approach the class as a bloody good work out and punish my body accordingly regardless of what everyone else doing ;)

I just found it a strange place to find people who were adverse to exercise lol

fenman

use spin class as recovery ride on mondays & wednesday. Do sunday ride of 65/80 miles and about 60/70 on tuesdays. still never manage to get h/r up to road rides ave. on these classes . New trainer taking mondays class even music is c***
looks like tights and mudgards on and out on the road

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If anywhere near Manchester, come on dan_bo's track sessions at the velodrome.....

Good god, you'll kill yourself...

Me..back to training mode...instructor says...intervals...3 mins on, 1 min rest, 2 mins on, 1 min on, and rest...... guess who went 100% for those intervals, and nearly died....... :?: and forgot about the other 1 hour and 3/4 qtrs :thumbsup:

Don't go 100% into training mode......not funny in a 2 hour session..... I suppose it's the same for spin, don't go into bike mode.......... I dunno what's 50% of max......??? Long rides are done at about a bit below eye balls out mode.........practice I think....

I am Spartacus

Über Member
fenman said:
still never manage to get h/r up to road rides ave. on these classes . New trainer taking mondays class even music is c***
looks like tights and mudgards on and out on the road

I can't qualify the music on offer ( I enjoy creating music mixes to use in class) but if you struggle to raise HR try
Spin up to 90 with light /moderate resistance on
Stay at 90
Twist the resistance up a few times... more if necessary
Stay at 90 and continue for 30 seconds
Release
recover 90 seconds
Repeat

I think your HR will show appropriate levels ...

You'll probably have to ignore the instructor tho' :blush:

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Good point... (hilly..? Cambridgeshire..?? :smile:) however,
the discussion is really not about indoor cycling being 'better' than cycling outdoors.
That is a 'no brainer' .
It is about a cycling connected exercise regime that can assist with specific fitness qualities required in cycling.

Crash

Think the instructor purposely tried to turn me into a quivering wreck yesterday in the class, i could say she tried to turn the whole class into quivering wrecks but that wouldn't have helped me get through it.

I HAD to take it personally to fight through it :biggrin: :smile:

jimboalee

Crash said:
Think the instructor purposely tried to turn me into a quivering wreck yesterday in the class, i could say she tried to turn the whole class into quivering wrecks but that wouldn't have helped me get through it.

I HAD to take it personally to fight through it ;) :ohmy:

If you don't want to be a quivering wreck, DON'T go to Spin classes !! :sad:

Ranger

I'm going to my first class tonight and after my fitness assessment (lots overweight and slightly raised blood pressure) I am a bit worried I am going to have a heart attack during it.

Strangely enough I still seem able to keep up with all but the racing snakes on my 12 miles commute though, perhaps I need to make more of an effort

fenman

I live in cambs/northants/lincs border area so tend to head out to northants nice and lumpy out there also tend to do rutland as well ( new instructor on monday spin, good workout as a recovery ride) music?

Ranger

I am Spartacus said:
ok.. CPR uptodate .. check...
ah Edinburgh..
thats ok then..
you have permission to fall off bike
:biggrin:

No heart attack, just a couple of close your eyes, grin and go through the pain and feel the rush afterwards momentsxx(

SilverSurfer

I love spinning. Most of my cycling buddies hate it cos it's 'not like cycling'.

I think that they struggle with the abstract. I find it a bit like cartoon cycling and can end up in a trance-like state with eyes closed.

I even get excited before we start on the 'journey'. :laugh:

Sometimes I even prefer spinning to real cycling. :smile:

I'm strange I guess.

Top Bottom