Spitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cd365

Guru
What, you rode for two miles without being aware there were two cyclists riding behind you?
Yes, It was a quiet single lane country road and I was really pushing myself. I can usually hear a car coming up behind me so hadn't bothered looking behind me. I did not factor in that the two cyclists I had passed would be childish enough to chase me down and then sit on my wheel.

I've avoided further engaging cd365 on the matter, because I assume he was joking/trolling, and because his profile says he's already been sent to Coventry. (badum tish. groan)

But let's get some clarity here, I'm not complaining about spitting or launching snot-rockets , because I accept they will occur in the context of high exertion/exercise.

What bothers me is the unsympathetic attitude towards potential victim who may receive a face full of phlegm. Even without the possibility that this constitutes an assault, it's an unbelievably inconsiderate thing to launch in the direction of other people, and can be easily avoided with a simple glance over the shoulder.

Blaming the victim for being in the wrong place is no defence.
Sneering that they deserve this for drafting is unpalatable, and weakens the claim it was accidental.

In society, it's not unreasonable to expect a small degree of consideration, courtesy, decency & respect to others.

(edited to delete a mystery attachment)
Nope I wasn't joking nor trolling. I was clearing my nose onto the side of the road which was nothing more than wild countryside to have someone shout behind me. It was their choice to be cheeky feckers and get a free tow. Politeness would have been to take some of the load on the front, I would have appreciated that as it would have helped me achieve what I was after (beating my time home). But no they did not do that, did they even give me a shout to let me know that they were there?

So yes I am blaming the victims for their rudeness, I had no idea that they were behind me. I had my head down and was going for it, what was behind me was irrelevant (in that I could hear no traffic of which there are rarely any down that stretch).

I always give everyone consideration, courtesy, decency & respect but accidents happen. The incident would not have occurred if they had shown some decent etiquette!

You need to look up what an assault means!! https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q145.htm

Yes, It was a quiet single lane country road and I was really pushing myself. I can usually hear a car coming up behind me so hadn't bothered looking behind me. I did not factor in that the two cyclists I had passed would be childish enough to chase me down and then sit on my wheel.

Nope I wasn't joking nor trolling. I was clearing my nose onto the side of the road which was nothing more than wild countryside to have someone shout behind me. It was their choice to be cheeky feckers and get a free tow. Politeness would have been to take some of the load on the front, I would have appreciated that as it would have helped me achieve what I was after (beating my time home). But no they did not do that, did they even give me a shout to let me know that they were there?

So yes I am blaming the victims for their rudeness, I had no idea that they were behind me. I had my head down and was going for it, what was behind me was irrelevant (in that I could hear no traffic of which there are rarely any down that stretch).

I always give everyone consideration, courtesy, decency & respect but accidents happen. The incident would not have occurred if they had shown some decent etiquette!

You need to look up what an assault means!! https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q145.htm

For anyone who thinks this is bad, I know a guy who allegedly grabs women's ****s.

Anyway I often discharge the contents of my nose while riding. Its too impractical to do this with any sort of etiquette so unlike cd365, I will simply not give one about any possible disagreement or disgust at my disgusting act. Im always alone when I do it which tends to avoid offense.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My doctor asked me, during an annual health check, if I had any hobbies.
I said, "Do farting, and snot rocketing, count?"

With that level of (un)awareness, I don't think you should have been out on a public road.

cd365

Guru
With that level of (un)awareness, I don't think you should have been out on a public road.
On an empty single lane, mostly unused road where I have always been fully aware of approaching cars I do not shoulder check before doing a snot rocket, why would I? Just in case other riders decide to be rude? Riders who I'd passed a fair distance down the road and when I had last looked were not there. Riders who had decided to chase me down then sit on my wheel?

Should you be allowed on the Internet with your strange views?

On an empty single lane, mostly unused road where I have always been fully aware of approaching cars I do not shoulder check before doing a snot rocket, why would I? Just in case other riders decide to be rude? Riders who I'd passed a fair distance down the road and when I had last looked were not there. Riders who had decided to chase me down then sit on my wheel?

Should you be allowed on the Internet with your strange views?

Probably not, but I'm still surprised you cycled two miles on a public road without being aware that there were other cyclists behind you, especially as you'd already passed them so must have known they could still be on the same route as you!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Probably not, but I'm still surprised you cycled two miles on a public road without being aware that there were other cyclists behind you, especially as you'd already passed them so must have known they could still be on the same route as you!
And how noisy must your tyres and drivetrain be, for you not to hear another TWO bikes behind you? I've got damaged hearing and I can usually hear another bike following at a safe distance.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
And how noisy must your tyres and drivetrain be, for you not to hear another TWO bikes behind you? I've got damaged hearing and I can usually hear another bike following at a safe distance.

I suspect from @mjr's other postings that he is more of a leisure cyclist (transport not sport) than @cd365 who was going "flat out". I know when I'm cycling at full bore I have the wind whistling past, my heart thumping and increased respiration, not to mention an intense focus on the road ahead. I certainly can't hear a bike (or even a car) behind me in those circumstances and until I slow down there is an understandable period of reduced awareness. Hopefully that woulnd't last for 2 miles, but we don't know local road conditions, and we don't know that the wheelsuckers were there for the entire time, so no point in arguing about speculation.

As for snot-rockets, it's an avoidable difference in perspective that those that don't need to do them will be slightly nauseated by those that do. Since I have a streaming cold at the moment, I have some sympathy with both points of view.

And the uninvited wheelsucker is not a problem at a ''safe distance" but if they're right on the back wheel that's quite alarming at low speed, let alone when "flat out". Reckon I'd be angry too but that's where my agreement with @cd365 ends, because no matter how angry/annoyed I was at someone, I would never consider a "near miss" with a snot rocket to be deserved.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I suspect from @mjr's other postings that he is more of a leisure cyclist (transport not sport) than @cd365 who was going "flat out". I know when I'm cycling at full bore I have the wind whistling past, my heart thumping and increased respiration, not to mention an intense focus on the road ahead.
You're half-right. I'm not sure I'd conflate transport and leisure and one reason now I don't do sport is I'd get excluded for several reasons, including currently taking PEDs for medical reasons. Believe me, I do still sometimes cycle at full bore (or what passes for full bore for me - medical reasons), banging my head into a fen headwind with an appointment to get to. I think I'd still notice a bike behind, although maybe with a headwind, it would be from looking rather than listening.
Reckon I'd be angry too but that's where my agreement with @cd365 ends, because no matter how angry/annoyed I was at someone, I would never consider a "near miss" with a snot rocket to be deserved.
Amen.

subaqua

What’s the point
For anyone who thinks this is bad, I know a guy who allegedly grabs women's ****s.

Anyway I often discharge the contents of my nose while riding. Its too impractical to do this with any sort of etiquette so unlike cd365, I will simply not give one about any possible disagreement or disgust at my disgusting act. Im always alone when I do it which tends to avoid offense.

You know Donald Trump ?

Top Bottom