Spitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crazyjoe101

How often has anyone ever witnessed a snot rocket ever hitting someone - who on earth would ever launch one that could go remotely near someone? Some people seem to be under the impression that if you do it then it absolutely must hit someone or somehow pose a significant threat as it sits there insignificantly the road. I'd be more worried about stepping foot on public transport myself.
Almost every time I do it there's no one anywhere near me or even in line of sight of me; I seriously struggle to see the harm. Do people walk around licking the ground or interfacing with the bottom of their shoes or something?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Judging by some of the comments on here, anyone would think that British roads were absolutely crawling with fellow cyclist and pedestrians.

Common sense should prevail. If you choose to spit or 'snot it', or not, should be up to the individual. I spit and clear my nostrils when necessary and always away from other traffic/people. I direct my aim to the kerb, making sure a ped. isn't approaching, and always look behind prior to doing so.

I've suffered with sinusitis for most of my life and have got used to the need to clear mouth/nose when necessary. I do not spit/snot in pedestrian or built-up areas when I'm on foot, as I will use my handkerchief which I always have with me.

On a bike, though, I don't bother, for the reasons mentioned above.

Quite...my rides in the Peak District are on roads where there are practically zero pedestrians and very few other cyclists. So me snot rocketing or spitting presents no hazard to others. And as I'm working hard up hills and it's often above 1000ft up so quite chilly I produce plenty of mucus. So blowing my nose every few minutes is a nuisance I can do without

Your point about walking around is a good one. Walking around you don't produce extra mucus so there is no build up to deal with. Same for gentle cycling. I ran a CC ride last April that was gently paced. No gobbing or snot rockets or nose blowing needed.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Has anyone suggested spitting around villagers? I have the impression that posters here have specifically said they wouldn't spit or snot in inhabited areas.
I was reacting to the suggestion that someone wouldn't spit/snot in cities and the implication that rural areas are fair game for plastering with it willy-nilly. If you're going to emit bodily fluids, it would be best aimed into a gutter while no other people are nearby, rather than merely being outside a city.

robjh

Legendary Member
I was reacting to the suggestion that someone wouldn't spit/snot in cities and the implication that rural areas are fair game for plastering with it willy-nilly. If you're going to emit bodily fluids, it would be best aimed into a gutter while no other people are nearby, rather than merely being outside a city.
Fairy nuff, we agree.

mythste

Veteran

If you're referring to my post, I used city as an obvious example of somewhere not suitable under any circumstances due to population density. Otherwise you are indeed correct.

mjr

If you're referring to my post, I used city as an obvious example of somewhere not suitable under any circumstances due to population density. Otherwise you are indeed correct.
OK, but I suggest spitting/snotting in a town or village is also unacceptable. It ain't just population density, but the increased probabilities that there's someone nearby who you haven't seen (possibly about to emerge from a gateway or alley) and that someone's gonna step in it.

crazyjoe101

Did you read the OP? It said:

I read the OP and I am fully aware of what it said, this is the first time I have ever heard of it happening and it's because someone decided to spit without looking behind them.
I'm not disputing that things like this happen, just the tone of the conversation that assumes it always happens of you are to spit etc and that a miniscule amount of bodily fluid in the road is a significant risk to public health.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've been hit by a snot rocket. It's the noise that I also can't bear!

crazyjoe101

I've been hit by a snot rocket. It's the noise that I also can't bear!

That's disgusting, and I concur second point as well.

All I can say is that this whole thread is a bit like when people tell me that they don't like it when cyclists jump red lights, all I can do is shrug my shoulders and say "OK" because it happens but it's nothing to do with me, I stop for them.
When I blow my filthy snot rockets I do so well away from people because I recognise it's unpleasant, however I'm not going to stop because other people are doing the same thing in a highly inconsiderate manner.

Have you ever tried it? The bag's attached to the bike, so you can pull the zip along one side with one hand, then slip the hand into the bag to grab a tissue. Some bags have velcro closures which are even simpler and some even have elasticated mesh pockets on the side, but that's not a good place to keep tissues on a rainy or misty day!

Probably there are some bags with dicky zips you can't open one handed, but I'd soon ditch them for a better one! :smile:
I just wipe my nose on my glove or top, if the need arises.

I'm sorry but I find the idea of carrying a handkerchief and stopping to blow your nose every time you need to, ludicrous. Also the very idea of having a bag and opening it with one hand while riding is much more dangerous in my opinion.
I spit and snot when the need arises and it's never harmed another human being or animal or plant.
A. Don't ride so close as to get hit in the first place.
B. Anyone that doesn't check if anybody is about first is a moron.
Also to get it in the face when behind, then the offending hockler must have been firing upwards?

Last edited:

mjr

I'm sorry but I find the idea of carrying a handkerchief and stopping to blow your nose every time you need to, ludicrous. Also the very idea of having a bag and opening it with one hand while riding is much more dangerous in my opinion.
[…]
Also to get it in the face when behind, then the offending hockler must have been firing upwards?
Possibly, or it was windy, but let's face it, anyone with so little control that they think riding one handed for a couple of seconds is dangerous probably doesn't have enough control to direct their excretions! And they're probably the annoying ones that don't signal before turning.

colly

Re member eR
I think at one time spitting public, pretty much anywhere was common place. It has, thankfully, become socially unacceptable. In the days when Tuberculosis was rampant it could indeed be a real health hazard.
The only time I'll spit is either in private (you should see the state of my telly) or if I'm on the bike when I get a fly or something in my mouth.
On the rare occasions I need to spit, or clean my nose, while I'm riding I just do it into my glove and if necessary wipe the glove on my thigh. We all wear them and while it is still pretty disgusting at least whatever is produced stays with me.

400bhp

Guru
Quite...my rides in the Peak District are on roads where there are practically zero pedestrians and very few other cyclists. So me snot rocketing or spitting presents no hazard to others. And as I'm working hard up hills and it's often above 1000ft up so quite chilly I produce plenty of mucus. So blowing my nose every few minutes is a nuisance I can do without

Your point about walking around is a good one. Walking around you don't produce extra mucus so there is no build up to deal with. Same for gentle cycling. I ran a CC ride last April that was gently paced. No gobbing or snot rockets or nose blowing needed.
I bet you piss at the side of the road too in those far out places. How inconsiderate :whistle: Terribly unbritish old chap.

Top Bottom