1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spitting

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by aembleton, 20 Dec 2016.

1. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

In urban areas however the spit and snot don't necessarily land on a verge or hedge. It can land on other people

I'm not sure people do only spit for some spurious reason
    In China, for example, it seems to be the norm to hoik up half a lung (lots of smokers) and spit on the pavement or anyone passing. Utterly disgusting.

Just because many people do it, it doesn't make it acceptable. Plenty pf people, especially males, pi$$ in the street, is that acceptable?

mjr likes this.
  2. I'm sure no-one is defending that.

We're not talking about pissing in the street (although, given that huge numbers of middle-aged male cyclists stop to piss in hedges on rides that may be a topic for another thread).
    Spitting cyclists are a common phenomenon - we all know that, else we wouldn't be talking about it. These same people do not, I'll wager, generally spit much at other times, so we might conclude that it is something to do with the exercise that makes people fill up with mucus. That's certainly what it feels like for me.

But ultimately you are asking for some people's yuk reflex to take precedence over other people's bodily comfort. I'm not sure why one should be given greater consideration than the other. But I repeat that I would expect consideration and toleration all round.

3. vickster

Because me using a simple tissue will not resolve my yuk reflex about others spitting and snotting but can easily their resolve their bodily discomfort ;)

4. meta lon

meta lon Veteran

Warm insulating membrane...Nice

5. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

I wonder if some people here fart whilst in a group.

6. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

Keep a handkerchief in your jacket pocket. Even I can blow my nose while riding through London traffic. It isn't hard to do, even when wearing Lidl £5 ski gloves.

aembleton likes this.
  7. united4ever

united4ever Well-Known Member

Sums it up for me

8. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

Personally, I don't like inconsiderate twats lobbing lumps of gob at me and leaving pools of it on the pavement. I'm a delicate soul. You all have throats. Why not swallow your own slime?

9. vickster

I'm sure they do. Generally farts don't launch bodily fluids and excretions in the direction of others, just pongy gas

10. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

So it's only the density of expelled bodily molecules that offends you?

11. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

Farts don't carry disease.

vickster likes this.
  12. vickster

Bodily molecules and fluids unnecessarily expelled in public, without the use of a tissue

13. Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger Über Member

Spitting and snotting in public is a disgusting habit imo.
    Years of motorcycling with my head encased in a full face helmet taught me that it's not necessary.

14. RRCC

RRCC Über Member

you can tell this isn't yacf, spit and swallow on the same page and still sfw

Siclo likes this.
  15. Eddy

Eddy Guru

Only when on the front , although you soon find yourself at the back .