Spitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
You've never felt the need, but many cyclists do. If this wasn't the case then we wouldn't even be having this discussion (and btw I wouldn't distinguish between spitting and nose-clearing, it's largely the same stuff).

No-one wants to be spat on, but a little bit of mucus landing in a hedge or a grass verge won't do any great harm. So spitters, just be considerate and aware of others' reactions, and those who are disgusted by it, just remember that people do it for a reason and try not to let it get to you (no pun intended:blush:).
In urban areas however the spit and snot don't necessarily land on a verge or hedge. It can land on other people

I'm not sure people do only spit for some spurious reason
In China, for example, it seems to be the norm to hoik up half a lung (lots of smokers) and spit on the pavement or anyone passing. Utterly disgusting.

Just because many people do it, it doesn't make it acceptable. Plenty pf people, especially males, pi$$ in the street, is that acceptable?

Reactions: mjr

robjh

Legendary Member
In urban areas however the spit and snot don't necessarily land on a verge or hedge. It can land on other people
I'm sure no-one is defending that.

Just because many people do it, it doesn't make it acceptable. Plenty pf people, especially males, pi$$ in the street, is that acceptable?
We're not talking about pissing in the street (although, given that huge numbers of middle-aged male cyclists stop to piss in hedges on rides that may be a topic for another thread).
Spitting cyclists are a common phenomenon - we all know that, else we wouldn't be talking about it. These same people do not, I'll wager, generally spit much at other times, so we might conclude that it is something to do with the exercise that makes people fill up with mucus. That's certainly what it feels like for me.

But ultimately you are asking for some people's yuk reflex to take precedence over other people's bodily comfort. I'm not sure why one should be given greater consideration than the other. But I repeat that I would expect consideration and toleration all round.

vickster

Legendary Member
Because me using a simple tissue will not resolve my yuk reflex about others spitting and snotting but can easily their resolve their bodily discomfort ;)

united4ever

Über Member
For me snot rockets are indeed disgusting but at the same time my nose runs non stop when I am out riding and to blow my nose each time in order to clear it would interrupt my riding to the point where I wouldn't bother going out and with gloves thick enough for sub 5 degrees I couldn't physically do it without making a mess anyway.
It's one of those things that just has to happen, as much as possible I do it out of view of others but if someone happens to witness it once in a while then oh well, it's not pleasant but it's not the end of the world either. I don't buy the public health argument to be honest as the chance of contracting anything from something meters away on the concrete is much less than from other sources in every day life, it's not like I'm launching them around in a lift.

Sums it up for me

vickster

Legendary Member
I wonder if some people here fart whilst in a group.
I'm sure they do. Generally farts don't launch bodily fluids and excretions in the direction of others, just pongy gas

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Spitting and snotting in public is a disgusting habit imo.
Years of motorcycling with my head encased in a full face helmet taught me that it's not necessary.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's a function of how hard you're cycling and is thus why you see others who are exercising hard (like footballers, rugby players, tennis players, runners) spitting and snot rocketing.

Hard exercise results in much increased air intake to the lungs. As a result of this, the body produces more mucus in an attempt to humidify and warm the air (hence why it's more of an issue on a cold day).

So if you're cycling gently it isn't a problem. But the harder you cycle the more of a problem it becomes. My cycling involves a lot of hard climbing so I'm breathing at something like 6 or 7 times my normal rate. So I produce a lot of mucus. I'm not going to stop half way up a hill to get a hankie out and blow my nose

Top Bottom