Spitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
But why is a snot rocket any less disgusting than spitting. It's still bodily fluids potentially laden with nasties

martint235

Dog on a bike
But why is a snot rocket any less disgusting than spitting. It's still bodily fluids potentially laden with nasties
I would argue that the stuff in your nostrils is largely laden with external nasties caught by the mucus before entering your body, spit on the other hand is largely formed of internal bacteria

vickster

Legendary Member
Snot is also full of viruses if you have a cold. Saliva just comes from mouth. Vomit on the other hand, super vile

You won't convince me that snot and snot rockets are anything other than foul

I assume you use a tissue to blow your nose off the bike...maybe you don't xx(

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Have you seen one when it's been in a sweaty pocket for a while.
So put it in a non-sweaty pocket or a bar/tri bag.

Plus if I stopped every time I needed to clear my nose I wouldn't get to work till lunchtime.
So blow your nose while riding. If you can't ride one-handed, please go learn more because it's needed for so many things like signalling turns.

I agree with @gavroche and @vickster on this: it's a filthy habit and shouldn't be done as routine - only done in extremely unusual situations (once this year, I've spat out a flying insect I've inhaled...)

martint235

Dog on a bike
So put it in a non-sweaty pocket or a bar/tri bag.

So blow your nose while riding. If you can't ride one-handed, please go learn more because it's needed for so many things like signalling turns.

I agree with @gavroche and @vickster on this: it's a filthy habit and shouldn't be done as routine - only done in extremely unusual situations (once this year, I've spat out a flying insect I've inhaled...)
How do I open said bag one handed whilst riding through rush hour traffic at speed? Or are you suggesting riding no hands for a while?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How do I open said bag one handed whilst riding through rush hour traffic at speed?
Have you ever tried it? The bag's attached to the bike, so you can pull the zip along one side with one hand, then slip the hand into the bag to grab a tissue. Some bags have velcro closures which are even simpler and some even have elasticated mesh pockets on the side, but that's not a good place to keep tissues on a rainy or misty day!

Probably there are some bags with dicky zips you can't open one handed, but I'd soon ditch them for a better one! :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Spitting should be a hanging offence.

Gixxerman

Guru
I remember a few years back watching a Man Utd game on the box. The camera zoomed in on Wayne Rooney just as he ejected the biggest dockers omlete you have ever seen (I do have a picture but I consider it to be too gross to post). Not nice viewing. If I feel the need to do a snot rocket when out and about, I do at least find a bit of privacy first.

crazyjoe101

For me snot rockets are indeed disgusting but at the same time my nose runs non stop when I am out riding and to blow my nose each time in order to clear it would interrupt my riding to the point where I wouldn't bother going out and with gloves thick enough for sub 5 degrees I couldn't physically do it without making a mess anyway.
It's one of those things that just has to happen, as much as possible I do it out of view of others but if someone happens to witness it once in a while then oh well, it's not pleasant but it's not the end of the world either. I don't buy the public health argument to be honest as the chance of contracting anything from something meters away on the concrete is much less than from other sources in every day life, it's not like I'm launching them around in a lift.

robjh

Legendary Member
Spitting is horrible and shouldn't be done. I've never felt the need.

However, also don't be so close behind another cyclist, if it's me I do blow my nose a lot.......
You've never felt the need, but many cyclists do. If this wasn't the case then we wouldn't even be having this discussion (and btw I wouldn't distinguish between spitting and nose-clearing, it's largely the same stuff).

No-one wants to be spat on, but a little bit of mucus landing in a hedge or a grass verge won't do any great harm. So spitters, just be considerate and aware of others' reactions, and those who are disgusted by it, just remember that people do it for a reason and try not to let it get to you (no pun intended:blush:).

Top Bottom