Spitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Possibly, or it was windy, but let's face it, anyone with so little control that they think riding one handed for a couple of seconds is dangerous probably doesn't have enough control to direct their excretions! And they're probably the annoying ones that don't signal before turning.
The point was that riding one handed is by far more dangerous than the supposed affects of snotting on the road! Try to keep on topic as well please, we aren't discussing people who don't signal before turning.

when you ride cold conditions you naturally produce more mucus.
I don't care how you deal with it as long as you don't spit on me.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I admit to being a spitter, especially in the first few miles on a cold winter day before you really warm up. Unavoidable I'm afraid, if there's stuff on the move so to speak. I spit when nobody is around preferably, and always after a glance behind to check the way is clear.

I also do cheeky alfresco wee-wees in the countryside with ne'er a care in the world. I'm a very bad man indeed.

cd365

Guru
If I'm cycling hard, I produce a lot of mucus, which I wipe with the back of my gloves or snot-rocket them out. Occasionally I will spit if I can't seem to clear my nose; nearly all of my cycling is in the countryside so for me it's not an issue.

Once when cycling hard home from work, I passed two cyclists who were chatting, 2 miles up the road I got a shout that my second snot rocket nearly hit them. The cheeky buggers had been using me to lead them along. Did I feel guilty, nope.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
If I'm cycling hard, I produce a lot of mucus, which I wipe with the back of my gloves or snot-rocket them out. Occasionally I will spit if I can't seem to clear my nose; nearly all of my cycling is in the countryside so for me it's not an issue.

Once when cycling hard home from work, I passed two cyclists who were chatting, 2 miles up the road I got a shout that my second snot rocket nearly hit them. The cheeky buggers had been using me to lead them along. Did I feel guilty, nope.

First paragraph seems reasonable enough, but I'm guessing the OP will be rather offended by the 2nd paragraph, even if it was meant in jest.
So many problems and arguments are caused by a lack of consideration for others. It's disappointing when cyclists appear to fall into the same trap.

Snot is also full of viruses if you have a cold. Saliva just comes from mouth. Vomit on the other hand, super vile

You won't convince me that snot and snot rockets are anything other than foul

I assume you use a tissue to blow your nose off the bike...maybe you don't xx(

Allegedly all of these have "Special interest" sites on the internet!

cd365

Guru
First paragraph seems reasonable enough, but I'm guessing the OP will be rather offended by the 2nd paragraph, even if it was meant in jest.
So many problems and arguments are caused by a lack of consideration for others. It's disappointing when cyclists appear to fall into the same trap.
Lack of consideration? I did not know that they were behind me, they decided that they wanted a cheeky tow, didn't let me know that they were there nor take a turn on the front. Their choice to be rude and nearly got an unintentional snot rocket for their cheek.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
When it's cold or when I'm working hard I gob and snot like a 70s footballer in winter. I make no apology for it. The amount I produce is unbelievable. I swallow a lot, but no way I'm going to choke all that down. But I am very careful to aim for drains, etc.. Yes, OK, maybe it's unpleasant, but we're all animals and how precious do you need to be?

Lack of consideration? I did not know that they were behind me, they decided that they wanted a cheeky tow, didn't let me know that they were there nor take a turn on the front. Their choice to be rude and nearly got an unintentional snot rocket for their cheek.

What, you rode for two miles without being aware there were two cyclists riding behind you?

mustang1

Guru
Please don't do it and if you really need to, first check that there isn't another cyclist or walker right behind you.

I got a face full of flem on my commute in this morning :sad:

Fify
Please don't do it and if you really need to, first check that there isnt another cyclist drafting behind you taking advantage of you.

I got a face full of flem on my commute in this morning and ignored Mustang's post about what should be done to drafters.

:smooch:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
What, you rode for two miles without being aware there were two cyclists riding behind you?

I've avoided further engaging cd365 on the matter, because I assume he was joking/trolling, and because his profile says he's already been sent to Coventry. (badum tish. groan)

But let's get some clarity here, I'm not complaining about spitting or launching snot-rockets , because I accept they will occur in the context of high exertion/exercise.

What bothers me is the unsympathetic attitude towards potential victim who may receive a face full of phlegm. Even without the possibility that this constitutes an assault, it's an unbelievably inconsiderate thing to launch in the direction of other people, and can be easily avoided with a simple glance over the shoulder.

Blaming the victim for being in the wrong place is no defence.
Sneering that they deserve this for drafting is unpalatable, and weakens the claim it was accidental.

In society, it's not unreasonable to expect a small degree of consideration, courtesy, decency & respect to others.

(edited to delete a mystery attachment)

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I don't spit or launch snot rockets - wipe 'em on that towelly bit of my gloves:okay:. Must confess though to standing up in the saddle to launch rippers. Sometimes feel sorry for anyone riding behind me suddenly encountering a noxious gas cloud:laugh:. I like to do that to wheelsuckers as a subtle reminder they're too close^_^.

Top Bottom