Spitting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Footballers seem to spit all the time.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Please, moderators. Just close this down on the grounds of decency, and to prevent the more tender of our brethren from having to picture Accy gobbing and urinating. Are we saying Accy is a Muslim? Did I get that right? I only skimmed through.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
"It's cultural innit" that's what the spitters say to security outside the hospital or outside MrsF 's college. To be fair, it is, although it's surprising it is still so prevalent in 2020. It's entirely normal to some and not intended to cause offence.

Spitting is culturally acceptable, or at least widely tolerated, in China. I wonder what effect, if any, that has had on propagation of the virus.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Then there's the farting rider in front of you, who you have to consider!xx( 💩 :laugh:

Just watch out if they have CV19 and fart in your direction

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I've seen stats showing TB infections LBo Lambeth where I live and Doctors attribute infections within the UK to spitting.

If this is the case, why has there never been a health campaign against spitting.

It's grim enough as it is, an aversion to the bodily fluids of others is a sound enough instinctive survival strategy relating to hygiene imo.

I'm given to understand that some people think spitting makes them look 'hard' - or something along those lines.

For the avoidance of doubt - no it doesn't - its just vile.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
"Cultural Reasons" and the fact the Police are so busy you can walk down the street smoking a joint and the Police won't pull you.

I wasn't suggesting making it an arrestable offence, so much, just more along the lines of not smoking in public places, and not allowing your dog to foul the pavement.

Giving good public health reasons for cooperation, that kind of thing.

So it becomes less socially acceptable, over time.

Reactions: C R

Milkfloat

An Peanut
In many parts of the world spitting in public is illegal and become more and more unacceptable. I visit Mumbai a lot and you cannot travel more than a hundred meters without seeing a sign telling you not to spit. Since Covid-19 they have increased the fine five-fold.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
A Rant. E-hem...
Council workers can issue littering fines for spitting in a public place. Spitting at someone is seen as an assault and a criminal offence. Spitting is disgusting and should be criminalised.
Urinating in an alley is also vile, and illegal, and punishable variously through public decency laws.
Who is there to police all this vile behaviour? Nope, nobody. Rozzers are too busy holding Tina’s head to one side so she doesn’t choke on her own vomit. Or else talking Conrad down off a bridge parapet because he can’t get a bed for the night and is sick of living.
That’s why we no longer care about standards in public life: we’ve become immune to the small things, have a laugh, roll over and move on. And our law is busy stemming the tide of social care disasters emerging countrywide.
I’m a liberal character, but can’t help but be totally fascistic about public behaviour. I’m spitting feathers at the screen. Our human interactions are what sets us apart from animals. That we are having to be re-told that handwashing is a thing, so as not to decimate our population! That we are having to be told how to sneeze!
My home city, York, is one of the most beautiful places in the country, built round an incredible cathedral which took almost three hundred years to build. And yet, it doesnt take a moment for some knuckle-dragging specimen from elsewhere to rock up on a day trip and spit out their chewing gum right in front of the west door on to riven York stone. Who would dare to tread the dark snickets on a weekend night? Not for fear of the ghost tours holding you up, but more that your moccasins might be awash with puke by home time. (I don’t wear shoes like that, but they sound more liable to be tetchy around vomit.)
I’m only shouting into a silly screen here, ranting on. I don’t feel any better. In fact, I feel worse. I should have coughed into my handkerchief, which I always carry for these occasions, don’t you know.

Top Bottom