Split of house equity after seperation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

I've been there...my ex moved out leaving me to pay the mortgage and then wanted 50% of everything a year later, including the increased value of the house partly due to me re-furbishing it.

It's going to come down to what you can negoatiate. If you took it to court, there would be a presumption of a 50:50 split unless there were significant reasons otherwise that you could demonstrate - e.g. a beneficial interest, kids etc. I would say the fairest option would be 50:50, less her deposit plus interest.

Keith Oates

Janner
<I would say the fairest option would be 50:50, less her deposit plus interest.>

There was nothing fair in my divorce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bianchi1

Guru
My ex wife ran up credit card debt of over 20 000 pounds without me realising. When i found out ( loan statement left on the side ) I took on extra work while she went part time ( stress made her spend more!! ) and we released some savings that i had inherited to try and get the dept to a manageable level. 2 years later just as i thought things were getting back to normal she ups and goes, moving in with a bloke from work and blaming me for working too many hours!
We managed a 50/50 equity split on our property and i got custody of our 2 children. A while ago i was going through some old paperwork and discovered that the inheritance money never made it to the debt but she had transferred it into an account she re named " My wish list account " !!!

bianchi1 said:
My ex wife ran up credit card debt of over 20 000 pounds without me realising. When i found out ( loan statement left on the side ) I took on extra work while she went part time ( stress made her spend more!! ) and we released some savings that i had inherited to try and get the dept to a manageable level. 2 years later just as i thought things were getting back to normal she ups and goes, moving in with a bloke from work and blaming me for working too many hours!
We managed a 50/50 equity split on our property and i got custody of our 2 children. A while ago i was going through some old paperwork and discovered that the inheritance money never made it to the debt but she had transferred it into an account she re named " My wish list account " !!!

Good grief! The things people do to each other...was in a similar situation a couple of years ago as my husband ripped me off for a few thousand to keep his business afloat without telling me. Staying together was really hard work, but we managed it. Sadly its made me v cautious about any future plans, but we keep working at it and hopefully it will work out.

papercorn2000

My wife wanted half of everything. After a week locked in the unlit attic, she became quite reasonable.
Mind you, I was given 3 years. But, there you go, swings and roundabouts.

andyfromotley

hi,
nice to hear about grown ups seperating in a grown up way. When my wife and i got together she brought 40 grand with her as a deposit for our first house. I brought nothing.

We calculated that was 30% of the purchase price, and had a document drawn up that if we had split she woulg get 30% of the value before we slit the rest.

I thought it was fair then and still do. Yes i know that it has probably grown into a substantial sum now but it wouldnt of without that initial contribution.

so you will gather that with all other things being equal i kind of agree with your mother in law.

good luck and please dont fall out over the money.

andy

spindrift

Patrick Stevens said:
So, she got shot of spinners AND got £20k. No lawyer could ever aspire to a deal like that.

FOAD and you odious little fart.

Top Bottom