Split second cut off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Loose connection?

does it mostly happen on rough roads or at speed or anything?
I have heard of batteries getting a bit wobbly and breaking the connection for a short time on bumps

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
does it mostly happen on rough roads or at speed or anything?
I have heard of batteries getting a bit wobbly and breaking the connection for a short time on bumps
That used to happen with my old GPS; it was VERY annoying because it would switch off, so I would have to stop, switch it back on, and turn on the route navigation again! I solved the problem by using a blob of Blutack to stop the 2 AA batteries bouncing about inside the device.

I would have thought that the battery connections on an ebike would be very secure, given how much power is going through them. That would be the first thing to check though. Obviously, there might be a loose connection to the controller instead.

Go round and check that every cable is securely attached.

Reactions: C R
Climbing mostly
Ok - the speed and bumps may not be relevant

However, my wife's folder is a bit low tech and I know that it has a habit of the battery indicator dropping dramatically on steep hills and then magically recovering once it become flat again
Based on what I have read it is due to a 'cheap and cheerful' BMS that doesn;t really do its job properly

so - I was thinking - could it be that the BMS in you ebike think the battery charge is very low and so cuts it off - then because teh battery wants no power for a second then the BMS sees a better balance so it all comes back
The clue would be whether it happens on full charge - or only when charge is a bit down??

By the way - make and model would help - in case other with the same system have similar experiences

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Ok - the speed and bumps may not be relevant

However, my wife's folder is a bit low tech and I know that it has a habit of the battery indicator dropping dramatically on steep hills and then magically recovering once it become flat again
Based on what I have read it is due to a 'cheap and cheerful' BMS that doesn;t really do its job properly

so - I was thinking - could it be that the BMS in you ebike think the battery charge is very low and so cuts it off - then because teh battery wants no power for a second then the BMS sees a better balance so it all comes back
The clue would be whether it happens on full charge - or only when charge is a bit down??

By the way - make and model would help - in case other with the same system have similar experiences
Hi it's done it on a full charge , it's a Impulse motor and battery.its just like if someone switches off and on fast blink of a eye . luckily it doesn't do every time I ride it.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Still sounds like a loose contact to me

make and model??
Impulse. Kalkhoff Sahel.

DRM

Guru
Could be any connection on the electrical side of the bike really, or even a dry joint on a pcb, you need to go round waggling every cable/connector and tapping the pcb's to see if you can narrow it down

Top Bottom