Splitting the bill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Some lady is being criticised on Social Media for not being willing to split the bill equally:

6 people out to Birthday Dinner
Equal split was £40.
But she was not drinking alcohol and opted to pay her food cost of £19.

Folks she was with were not happy.

What does the panel think?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Tricky one. Alcohol often makes up a very large portion of the bill so if you are a non-drinker it's maybe not entirely fair to always feel you're stumping up when you don't imbibe yourself.

Some lady is being criticised on Social Media for not being willing to split the bill equally:

6 people out to Birthday Dinner
Equal split was £40.
But she was not drinking alcohol and opted to pay her food cost of £19.

Folks she was with were not happy.

What does the panel think?
Perfectly fine. Why should she buy her mates drinks ? They've not bought her any.

vickster

Legendary Member
All good, I’ve been in a similar situation. Why should she subsidise their boozing? Although I hope she paid her share of the tip on food :okay:

The reason her 'friends' weren't happy was that they realised she has - quite rightly - declined to continue subsidising their expensive habit. On the face of it at least, they don't seem to be her friends so much as her parasites.

Only if they regularly subsidise an expensive habit of hers - and hers alone - when they go out together, do they have any grounds for complaint.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
When we had the kids with us we'd pay for our share (kids portions and no booze) as it was too much paying for 4 adults share of a bill if others were drinking, and one of us driving.

If anyone isn't drinking then we don't expect them to cover booze. Even with colleagues if one or two of us has had an extra beer or two, we'll throw in extra cash.

I've been stung before where one person doesn't pay anything. We had a particular group where we'd always be short.

My wife once went out with a group, all eating drinking, and one person at the end said they had no money.. :ohmy:. Don't mind subsidising someone who was skint, but to not let you know before hand.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Let's turn the tables. If i was out in a group i'd see an opportunity and order doubles,cocktails maybe even a bottle of champers. If the tight wad non drinker didn't cough up their bit i would not be too pleased!🧐

Top Bottom