Splitting the bill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
It should be decided BEFORE the meal.
I've been out with groups where people quibbled about their dessert being cheaper than others - funnily enough they were the people who most likely earned more than the people who were happy to divi it equally and subsidise the whingers' bottle of wine.

I have no idea about the price of alcohol but some soft drinks are significantly more expensive than others.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
This used to annoy me back in the day. For various reasons I ended up driving a fair bit, then when it came to splitting the bill the rest of the gang had been having expensive cocktails etc. One at least was a tight arse who tended to sponge but most of then were just a bit thoughtless

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've had this problem before,but not with food. When out drinking in a group i've paid for others £4 a pint premium lager while i'm drinking £2.50 a pint 'real ale'. You always get that "Oh,don't be tight,it works out even in the end", but it doesn't! You then feel like you should drink the £4 a pint larger to kind of get back at them.:unsure:

Jody

Stubborn git
I've done this plenty of times. I don't see why I as a non drinker should cover peoples 2 hour bender when I've only had a glass of Cola. If we're talking a drink each with a meal then I wouldn't question it, but sometimes the drinks bill can be many hundreds on top of food.

Controversial view, but I think the same with those who rinse the menu, ordering the most expensive item for each part of the meal. I don't question it as it would create animosity but it's always the same people doing it.

Agree with most or all of you, alcohol is a separate issue.

Just wanted to add that these are interesting occasions as it helps size up the people you keep company with. Over the years, we had to discreetly let go (uninvite or turn down an invite) people who have issues. We let go of a vegan as she was militant with serving staff, a chap who was more interested of knowing the chef or the owner of every place we went to and sadly people whose relationship broke down and carried that burden into the group.

We are close to let go of a couple who at the time of placing orders will add items to be "shared" but after a time we realise that they were sampling at our expense or unsure of their own orders and were having backup of sorts.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Nope, wouldn't be subsidising drinking

Kingfisher101

Über Member
She should just pay for what she has had and her share of the service charge/ tip.
No way should she be subsidizing other peoples drinking. Its about time places gave everyone individual bills.
That £20.00 could be her food for a week, who knows she might be struggling.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
She should just pay for what she has had and her share of the service charge/ tip.
No way should she be subsidizing other peoples drinking. Its about time places gave everyone individual bills.
That £20.00 could be her food for a week, who knows she might be struggling.

You can easily get separate bills with card machines. It should be a non problem in the 21st century.

Top Bottom