Splitting the bill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
A family do is say is different though, to going out with peers. When we go out as a family, we usually just take it in turns to pay. Although we’ve rather lost track with Covid!

The point of my example was that non-alcoholic drinks, in this instance, were actually more expensive than the alcohol version. ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
The point of my example was that non-alcoholic drinks, in this instance, were actually more expensive than the alcohol version. ;)
Gin is minging regardless, however if she likes the gin taste and was driving you, surely you’d prefer your taxi driver stuck to Non alcoholic?
So that’s the point of non alcoholic gin

I have had the experience when on a rugby tour of watching someone drinking so fast, that the beer was running down his face , just so he could get more from the kitty than everyone else. The same bloke then didn't put in his 40 euros fpor the meal later and flatly denied not doing so. He got away with just putting 5 euro in to help make up the shortfall. I don't drink with him any more.
I will be going for a meal on thursday night. It's our first family gathering since covid started. I will have my wife and two teen daughters with me. Most of the others will be in ones and twos. As a family my proportion of the bill will be way higher than everyone else. There is no way I will alllow the bill to be split, I will pay for my immediate familes meals and drinks as to not do so will be grossly unfair. I will say that I don't hold back and if there is something I want I'll have it, and I will tell my kids the same.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
only will wavers split the bill and add more on, but they could be putting others into a financial situation they cant cope with……….but the willy waver will be ok and look good to his mates

Most of the places we eat out are pub type places - so you order at the bar (or did in the old days) and pay then
We always ordered for our own bit of the family (me and my wife in my case - or her son, parnter and kids in their case) so everyone pays at the time for what they order
WHich works great

SOme time ago I used to go out to eat witha group and their arrangement was that at the end they asked for a menu and everyone worked out what they owed and chucked the cash into the middle
Because they were all nice people they all worried about adding up wrong so lobbed a few extra quid in just in case
We always ended up with enough over for a decent tip
Nice group

Some others - not so civilised!!!!

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
We meet up every (normal) year with 4 other couples for a Uni Re-union at a Rental Holiday Home.

One couple does not drink - other than maybe the glass of fizz as we arrive at the shared house.

When we go out to eat the simple practice - never discussed, just agreed on the nod, is, we identify the approximate Booze component and split that 4 ways and split the food component 5 ways (ignoring any difference in cost of dishes ordered) - It does help that being a mixture of physicists and accountants the sums are just simple mental arithmetic! There is, BTW, a different rate of alcohol consumption between the 4 drinking couples, but that is not an issue.

I would be mortified to think that someone was subsidizing my boozing.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
SOme time ago I used to go out to eat witha group and their arrangement was that at the end they asked for a menu and everyone worked out what they owed and chucked the cash into the middle
Because they were all nice people they all worried about adding up wrong so lobbed a few extra quid in just in case
We always ended up with enough over for a decent tip

Nice group

Some others - not so civilised!!!!

A sign of a well-functioning group of friends. A nice position to be in.

We were on an Exodus holiday in Cuba Feb 2020 and every time that was done the total was short by a few dollars. Sad but true. My wife and I and another couple quietly made up the difference, putting it down to innumeracy rather than dishonesty.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
We meet up every (normal) year with 4 other couples for a Uni Re-union at a Rental Holiday Home.

One couple does not drink - other than maybe the glass of fizz as we arrive at the shared house.

When we go out to eat the simple practice - never discussed, just agreed on the nod, is, we identify the approximate Booze component and split that 4 ways and split the food component 5 ways (ignoring any difference in cost of dishes ordered) - It does help that being a mixture of physicists and accountants the sums are just simple mental arithmetic! There is, BTW, a different rate of alcohol consumption between the 4 drinking couples, but that is not an issue.

I would be mortified to think that someone was subsidizing my boozing.
So if you drank 5 pints and all your mates drank 3, but you split the bill equally, then yes they are subsidising your boozing…….

Top Bottom