(SPOILER) 111th Paris-Roubaix, 7 April 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
BMC clearly targeting this one.
At least two cards to play in Hushovd (if his return to form continues) and Gilbert.
Cuddles has yet to prove he's still got what it takes though.

Did I read somewhere that GT is targeting this too?

The Couch

Über Member
... At least two cards to play in Hushovd (if his return to form continues) and Gilbert ... Did I read somewhere that GT is targeting this too?

I don't think Gilbert is somebody to consider for PR (Paris Roubaix). I think he rather wants to win MSR (Milan San Remo) or RvV (Tour de Flanders) and that he is actually more fitted to win those as well. They probably hope more that Van Avermaet (if he will even participate), Oss and Phinney can help Hushovd a long way into the finale.

Geraint is a big part of the classics team, so they will be looking for him to perform well and he actually did pretty good this year in Omloop Het Nieuwsblad (OHN)... however I do believe that he has eyes more set on the RvV. For Sky, I would say that Hayman has shown he can do well and Stannard has expressed his love for this race, so he should be very motivated.

However, I believe that both Boonen (arm injury) and Vanmarcke (knee injury) will be fully focused on this since both will be hoping to be in full form for this race. Besides them you have the inevitable names like Cancellara, Pozzato, Flecha, Roelandts, Chavanel and Boom as favourites. A step lower I would name Terpstra, Turgot, Breschel, Leukemans and - people who have also shown form in OHN - Wynants, Paolini and Vandenberghe.
And just to complete it, some long-shots could be: Langeveld, Degenkolb, Stybar, Eisel, Haussler and Offredo

beastie

Guru
I don't think Gilbert is somebody to consider for PR (Paris Roubaix). I think he rather wants to win MSR (Milan San Remo) or RvV (Tour de Flanders) and that he is actually more fitted to win those as well. They probably hope more that Van Avermaet (if he will even participate), Oss and Phinney can help Hushovd a long way into the finale.

Geraint is a big part of the classics team, so they will be looking for him to perform well and he actually did pretty good this year in Omloop Het Nieuwsblad (OHN)... however I do believe that he has eyes more set on the RvV. For Sky, I would say that Hayman has shown he can do well and Stannard has expressed his love for this race, so he should be very motivated.

However, I believe that both Boonen (arm injury) and Vanmarcke (knee injury) will be fully focused on this since both will be hoping to be in full form for this race. Besides them you have the inevitable names like Cancellara, Pozzato, Flecha, Roelandts, Chavanel and Boom as favourites. A step lower I would name Terpstra, Turgot, Breschel, Leukemans and - people who have also shown form in OHN - Wynants, Paolini and Vandenberghe.
And just to complete it, some long-shots could be: Langeveld, Degenkolb, Stybar, Eisel, Haussler and Offredo
Gilbert is targeting the Ardennes classics. He could be threat for RvV though.(outside bet really). Think Cancellara v Boonen vs Sagan vs the field.

montage

God Almighty
BMC clearly targeting this one.
At least two cards to play in Hushovd (if his return to form continues) and Gilbert.
Cuddles has yet to prove he's still got what it takes though.

Did I read somewhere that GT is targeting this too?

Cuddles as in Evans?

My prediction: Cancellara attacks. Cancellara works like a dog on the front. Somebody Cancellara was pulling the last 20km wins.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Not seen much of Boonen's form so far this year, but given his past history with P-R, he's got to be looking for that magical 5th win. Spartacus is also looking strong, but I'm not sure Sagan will target P-R, I've not seen him do classics so I've no idea how well he handles them, but to be honest he's such a strong rider I bet he could win most things he tried.

The Couch

Über Member
... but I'm not sure Sagan will target P-R, I've not seen him do classics so I've no idea how well he handles them, but to be honest he's such a strong rider I bet he could win most things he tried.
I can see him winning just about every "classic" there is
i.e.
MSR, Gent Wevelgem, Tour de Flanders, Amstel Gold Race, Liege-Bastoigne-Liege, San Sebastian, Giro di Lombardia

The only ones I would doubt (currently, because who knows how strong he will turn about to be in a couple of more years) is the Fleche Wallone and Paris Roubaix (and PR being the one I would doubt the hardest).
PR is just so specific that I don't see it in him, I will always see the "belgian-type" (if that makes any sense) cyclist being better suited for this (Boonen, Cancelara, Hushovd, Degenkolb, Museeuw...).
...Then again, Sagan is being (started to be) compared to the potential that Merckx had (so I am talking the absolute upper atmosphere of talent there is) and he has won Paris Roubaix as well :smile:

Now, for this edition, even if Boonen hasn't shown anything yet definitely don't count him out. He is just so suited for this race, that he should be top 5 even when he is out of shape. (And he currently is still my pick to be the winner)

I do agree with Laurence, if you mention Boonen and Cancellara, you should be 9 times out of 10 covered to have the winner mentioned.

beastie

Guru
I can see him winning just about every "classic" there is
i.e.
MSR, Gent Wevelgem, Tour de Flanders, Amstel Gold Race, Liege-Bastoigne-Liege, San Sebastian, Giro di Lombardia

The only ones I would doubt (currently, because who knows how strong he will turn about to be in a couple of more years) is the Fleche Wallone and Paris Roubaix (and PR being the one I would doubt the hardest).
PR is just so specific that I don't see it in him, I will always see the "belgian-type" (if that makes any sense) cyclist being better suited for this (Boonen, Cancelara, Hushovd, Degenkolb, Museeuw...).
...Then again, Sagan is being (started to be) compared to the potential that Merckx had (so I am talking the absolute upper atmosphere of talent there is) and he has won Paris Roubaix as well :smile:

Now, for this edition, even if Boonen hasn't shown anything yet definitely don't count him out. He is just so suited for this race, that he should be top 5 even when he is out of shape. (And he currently is still my pick to be the winner)

I do agree with Laurence, if you mention Boonen and Cancellara, you should be 9 times out of 10 covered to have the winner mentioned.
Sagan was 5th I think at Flanders last year, and that was after foolishly attacking from too far out, instead of following Boonen and then going for the sprint. If he can stick in the lead bunch of any race he is gonna finish on the podium against anyone despite what Cav said about him being a sprinter. I predict at least one classic win(this season) possibly more and probably starting Sunday.

thom

____

oldroadman

Veteran
I believe so. And he has won the junior version of the race. And he came close to winning the stage when they raced over the cobbles in the TdF a couple of years ago. I reckon he has a chance.
And at the same junior P-R race one G Thomas was 2nd. So they both have the ability on the pave. Overall I would go for Srannard, based on the hidings he was handing out at MSR today, although GT looked fine until the crash. Not a chance after that.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
And at the same junior P-R race one G Thomas was 2nd. So they both have the ability on the pave. Overall I would go for Srannard, based on the hidings he was handing out at MSR today, although GT looked fine until the crash. Not a chance after that.

Stannard is a great rider in bad conditions, as he showed today, a real brute. Not convinced he's really got what it takes to win the biggest races yet, but he's still young, nowhere near his peak... and today's ride showed he's able to mix with the big boys without looking out of place... He seems to really like PR too. Hmmm! Who knows?

thom

____
Joni Mitchell and the Hell of the North...:

"The line in the song that says they paved paradise and put up a parking lot, well that's a reference to the Queen of the Classics, Paris-Roubaix, and how the cobbles that gave the race its character were tarred over in attempts to drag the roads of the region into the modern era."

oldroadman

Veteran
Joni Mitchell and the Hell of the North...:

"The line in the song that says they paved paradise and put up a parking lot, well that's a reference to the Queen of the Classics, Paris-Roubaix, and how the cobbles that gave the race its character were tarred over in attempts to drag the roads of the region into the modern era."
And then untarred after a lot of noise, quite right too. They are truly horrible. Mind the Belgian stuff can be pretty awful as well, but generally in better (i.e. maintained and kept reasonably settled) condition. Still it's the same for everybody, as the trail of loosened fillings at the roadside shows!

Top Bottom