(SPOILER) What, no ToQ thread ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Starts Sunday. Could be a whole bunch of sprint finishes, Cavendish could win a few stages, so could EBH, and Degenkolb, and the World Champion is going too. And it beats just talking about doping.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
As every year, sure the sprints might be interesting if the wind across the flat, flat parcours doesn't break up the field first and turn it into the usual tedious grind. The Tour of Oman at least has some terrain...

OP
OP
Strathlubnaig
As every year, sure the sprints might be interesting if the wind across the flat, flat parcours doesn't break up the field first and turn it into the usual tedious grind. The Tour of Oman at least has some terrain...
true dat, at least you know it's only worthwhile tuning in for the last km

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I seem to recall it was slightly more interesting last year but I can't remember why. I may be wrong!
Possibly the wind, the echelons and the breaks.

oldroadman

Veteran
Strong crosswinds are far more destructive than climbs, because they are unpredictable and variable, so can't be planned for so well. A gap of 30 metres between echelons can easily grow to minutes if the front group drives hard and ther's a moment's hesitation behind. And it's hard all day - ask anyone who has ridden in Flanders, Netherlands, or on the higher plateau of central Spain. No fun at all!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Strong crosswinds are far more destructive than climbs, because they are unpredictable and variable, so can't be planned for so well. A gap of 30 metres between echelons can easily grow to minutes if the front group drives hard and ther's a moment's hesitation behind. And it's hard all day - ask anyone who has ridden in Flanders, Netherlands, or on the higher plateau of central Spain. No fun at all!

I don't doubt it and I don't think anyone is questioning the difficulty. It's just that unfortunately it's no fun to watch either!

I agree with this, mile after mile of desert and a strung out peloton blown apart by crosswind city!

Unpredictable, but not unpredictable like the Giro, unpredictable in a slightly more tedious fashion.

oldroadman

Veteran
I agree with this, mile after mile of desert and a strung out peloton blown apart by crosswind city!

Unpredictable, but not unpredictable like the Giro, unpredictable in a slightly more tedious fashion.
Nothing more tedious than hours of "the right break goes and we all sit in the peloton waiting for the right moment to drive our leaders back up in time for the big climb" style of racing. Riding tempo for ages, what fun - not. At least in the crosswinds there is a chance for a long full on pursuit match where some "heads" get caught out and have to race most of the way. Plus it puts DS's into panic, which is always good!

Nothing more tedious than hours of "the right break goes and we all sit in the peloton waiting for the right moment to drive our leaders back up in time for the big climb" style of racing. Riding tempo for ages, what fun - not. At least in the crosswinds there is a chance for a long full on pursuit match where some "heads" get caught out and have to race most of the way. Plus it puts DS's into panic, which is always good!

Fair enough. I personally think that the calculation of the peloton vs the calculations made by the breakaway are a big part of what makes racing what it is. For every 9 or 10 times a break is caught and the term 'predictable' can be used there is one break that always gets away, and stays away and the fact that it's the exception to the rule makes it more exciting IMO.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Good to see Russell Downing there with NetApp-Endura. As a strong lad who won't let a bit of wind deter him he might do well.

I'm also pleased to see a Japanese national team competing as well as the largely Chinese-based Champion System.

Top Bottom