(Spoilers) Ronde van Vlaanderen. 31/03/13

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Geraint was 5th in the end, not that it matters much in the great scheme of things.

That's amazing, considering the peloton was flying when he crashed, he had what seemed like a good 20 minute TT to get back on. He still has a chance to upset in roubaix I reckon

montage

God Almighty
Who won?
Just got in from a ride.
Lance

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
That's amazing, considering the peloton was flying when he crashed, he had what seemed like a good 20 minute TT to get back on. He still has a chance to upset in roubaix I reckon

He fell off in E3P and MSR too. Tempted to put money on him falling off in PR as well.

If he can stay upright for the distance, he might even win a race one of these days.

montage

God Almighty
He fell off in E3P and MSR too. Tempted to put money on him falling off in PR as well.

If he can stay upright for the distance, he might even win a race one of these days.

Looking at the results, I can't see him coming in 5th...and I don't recall seeing him in that lead group at all during the race

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Looking at the results, I can't see him coming in 5th...and I don't recall seeing him in that lead group at all during the race

He was near the front of the peloton when they hit the Oude Kwaremont. I was feeling quite optimistic about his chances at that point. Then I had to go out and I've just seen the result a few minutes ago... Ho hum.

U

User169

Vos won the women's race - the eddy merckx of womens racing as Belgian TV just put it!!

OP
OP
beastie

beastie

Guru
Just watched the race, a bit of a slow burner, and then Cancellara just showed his awesomeness. Looks like he will try the same at Roubaix. Sagan is nearly there, he is only 23. Give him 2 years more and he will be unstoppable.
I thought Thomas looked a bit tired about 5 minutes before his crash. He had been right near the front in good position and then the pace went right up and he dropped about ten places then at a tight right hander he got stuck on the inside and lost another 6 or 7 places. Can he last at PR?

oldroadman

Veteran
Just watched the race, a bit of a slow burner, and then Cancellara just showed his awesomeness. Looks like he will try the same at Roubaix. Sagan is nearly there, he is only 23. Give him 2 years more and he will be unstoppable.
I thought Thomas looked a bit tired about 5 minutes before his crash. He had been right near the front in good position and then the pace went right up and he dropped about ten places then at a tight right hander he got stuck on the inside and lost another 6 or 7 places. Can he last at PR?

It was a pretty quick burner, 90km in first two hours and the pace never really eased. Everyonewas a bit tired coming into the final. GT did an exceptionel ride gettting back to the remains of the peloton - 206 starters, and 30 or so in it at the last time over the Oude Kwaremont and Paterberg.
Cancellera played it perfectly, saving the big move for the last Paterberg, and no-one else had the ability to go with the attack, which was a simple "turn the screws until they die" job. Once he's 10 seconds up in TT mode with under 15km to go, just wave goodbye and play for a podium place.
GT was not top ten, but as has been correctly noted, is 5th in the World Tour rankings.
Stannard and him could be forces at Roubaix, but a betting man would hope to get odds (not very good ones from a profit point of view) on Spartacus.
Roubaix though, is a race where you need some good luck for a chance at the win, and bad luck will simply ruin your day! If this weather stays like it is, it will be eating dust all day, which is better than sliding on your backside over the pave three or four times and having to chase!

Get In The Van

Had this on all day and dipped in and out of watching it as i was working around the house, but watched the last 20km in full, Cancellera was a canny rider today, the way he left Sagan was impressive, anyone know why he was shaking his head at the end as if in disapproval of something?

Top Bottom