Spoke breakage...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Is their a standard length: I measured the length of the broke spoke (without the end which goes by the hub - I was feeling so bloody good as well xx() and its 300mm so If I visit a shop and say "I'd like a few spokes 'bout 300m" - will they say = get them for you right now :eek: OR will they say "well, theirs different lengths, yuh know ;)"...

:sad:

Either that or shell out 60 notes which I'd rather not do at the moment for new wheels (spares)....

Its always a good idea to approach a spoke purchase with a degree of accuracy. Never say 'ish'. They'll give you 'that look'. Spokes are measured from the inside of the elbow to the end of the threaded section and are, almost without exception, in even numbers of mm.

barq

You can also calculate the spoke length from the hub/rim combination. Google for 'spoke length calculators' (I like the DT Swiss one). Spokes come in 1mm increments but since there is a wee bit of latitude most LBSs only stock spokes in 2mm increments.

If you're not absolutely sure then take the broken spoke into the shop. If it's broken at the elbow they should still be able to measure it up.

domtyler

Über Member
I always take my bike in and ask for a new spoke and true. Have you trued wheels before Yenrod? I am not sure it is possible without a jig is it?

barq

Well you can true wheels in a pair of upturned forks using a ziptie as a reference point. However the problem with this is that the quality of equipment is inversely proportional to the skills of the wheel builder. xx( In other words if you are a novice then a really solid £200 jig is very helpful as talent compensation, but the Jobst Brandts of the world can manage with without. I put myself in the former category. :sad:

More seriously though, if a spoke has snapped at the elbow (I'm going to guess drive side of the rear wheel?) then it has fatigued through a process of loading and unloading as the wheel turns. Replacing the spoke may be a DIY job, but there is probably an underlying issue of insufficient and/or uneven spoke tension that should be investigated.

Top Bottom