Spoke issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

knonist

Long story Short

A spoke came off my rear wheel after spending an afternoon in the bike shed at work yesterday.

I took it to my LBS this morning, the mechanic suggested since the remaining spokes are well tensioned, either it might be a little loose and then someone knocked it off by accident, or someone broke it (I locked my rear wheel with a D lock to the bike stand. So if someone tried to move my bike, it can damage the spoke.)

It will cost me £55 to replace the spoke and for a service to ensure everything else is OK.

I have been told by someone that once a spoke came off from a wheel, the rest will soon follow. I’m not sure if is it true, but I really can’t afford to visit the bike shop every other day.

Do I need to replace the wheel or to replace all the spokes at once?
I’m 70kg so shouldn’t out too much load on the wheels.

My current wheel is "Bontrager SSR w/Clix" I think it has 24 spokes on the rear

raindog

er.....
I broke a spoke a couple of years ago and my lbs replaced it and trued the wheel for 10 euros.
Why does your bike need servicing because you're replacing a spoke?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
When a spoke breaks on an old wheel it's likely the others are also nearing the ends of their lives. But your case sounds different - I assume the wheel is not that old, and it appears the spoke didn't break of its own accord.

OP
OP
K

knonist

I was going to take it to the LBS for its pre-winter serviceing in the next few weeks anyway.
And the guy in the bike shop suggested it, so I agreed.
I thought servicing always include wheel trueing, but in this case, it doesn't

I do about 100miles per week on it, and I'm not very good at DIY.

02GF74

Über Member
bike servicing is loike car servicing i..e basically do as little as F.A. as possible.

they'd probably squirt a bit of oil on your cahin and charge you £ 55 for the privilege.

am I rading that rightm 55 to servie the wheel???? you can buy a new one for not much more than that.

where did the spoke break? has your chain jumped off the largest sprocket and gouged the spokes?

there aer bike over 100 years still on their original spokes so I doubt much it is fatigue - usually some external damage.

Jonathan M

knonist said:
It will cost me £55 to replace the spoke and for a service to ensure everything else is OK.

I have been told by someone that once a spoke came off from a wheel, the rest will soon follow. I’m not sure if is it true, but I really can’t afford to visit the bike shop every other day.

Do I need to replace the wheel or to replace all the spokes at once?

I hope the £55 includes something more significant that just a spoke replacement & a bearing service. Sounds very expensive to me!

I've had odd spokes replaced on various wheels over the years - just put a Mavic rimmed XT disc hub into my LBS today after a "friend" rode into me on a ride today, and snapped one spoke and bent another.

Never had any other spokes cause me an issue when isolated ones have been replaced whatever the reason.

OP
OP
K

knonist

The final cost was 48.85, this included a new spoke and a new brake cable.

They charge £25 for the service (in which I dont need as nothing is loose on my bike), and truing the wheel cost £12.5. They charged £8 for washing my chain without telling me that it is a chargable service in advance(I thought it was included in the "service").

Will avoid using their service again.

Jonathan M

knonist said:
The final cost was 48.85, this included a new spoke and a new brake cable.

They charge £25 for the service (in which I dont need as nothing is loose on my bike), and truing the wheel cost £12.5. They charged £8 for washed my chain without telling me that it is a chargable service in advance(I thought it was included in the "service").

Will avoid using their service again.

Thats the way of telling the customer that next time they'd like you to at least send it with a slightly cleaner chain LOL!!

OP
OP
K

knonist

Jonathan M said:
Thats the way of telling the customer that next time they'd like you to at least send it with a slightly cleaner chain LOL!!

it was cleaned a week ago, but it was rainly the day before...

Matthames

Über Member
If it were me, I would be giving this shop a very wide berth indeed. It sounds like the sort of place you hear about on Watchdog to me.

Ivan Ardon

Cassette / freewheel remover - £6. Spoke Key - £5. Spoke - 75p. Instructional video - free on Youtube.

The case for Doing It Yourself rests, M'lud.

OP
OP
K

knonist

Another one broken spoke day during my commute to work. Same wheel, opposite direction.

It just came back from the bike shop less than 2 weeks ago, and I did only 5 rides on it!

Since the repair a couple of weeks ago, I had to return to the shop twice regarding the bumps on the tyre wall and the gears. This is ridicules.

£48.85 for replacing a spoke, and I have to return for more!

Top Bottom