Front shifting issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
Hi there,

So I’m having issues shifting front derailleur from small ring to big ring. Basically the shifting is fine but the trim position when shifting down means I have to basically wrench the left hand lever with massive force for the front derailleur to spring (rapidly) into position. When I say trim position I mean one click on the small left hand lever drops the the chain onto the small ring and a the big lever shifts back normally. If I press the small lever all the way there is a double click and the derailleur is impossible to shift back normally. I’ve replaced cables inner and outer and installed a new inline barrel adjuster. The shifters are 105 sti shifters. Another strange thing is if I manually move the front derailleur into the big ring position the left hand shifter moves smoothly. Not sure what’s going on.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Model number may help for members to give the most relevant answers.

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
Hi there,

So I’m having issues shifting front derailleur from small ring to big ring. Basically the shifting is fine but the trim position when shifting down means I have to basically wrench the left hand lever with massive force for the front derailleur to spring (rapidly) into position. When I say trim position I mean one click on the small left hand lever drops the the chain onto the small ring and a the big lever shifts back normally. If I press the small lever all the way there is a double click and the derailleur is impossible to shift back normally. I’ve replaced cables inner and outer and installed a new inline barrel adjuster. The shifters are 105 sti shifters. Another strange thing is if I manually move the front derailleur into the big ring position the left hand shifter moves smoothly. Not sure what’s going on.

It sounds like lack of cable tension to me.

boydj

Legendary Member
I've found that a touch of slack in the cable, ie not quite as tight as possible, gives the best shifting on the front - particularly with a triple chainset, but also true of a double. This requires that the lower limit screw is just right and there is no problem getting onto the big ring.

D

Deleted member 121159

I've found that a touch of slack in the cable, ie not quite as tight as possible, gives the best shifting on the front - particularly with a triple chainset, but also true of a double. This requires that the lower limit screw is just right and there is no problem getting onto the big ring.

Agree, sounds like a limit screw issue

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
c

i was going to say if you have the cable tension too tight its farks up the trim function

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
As this is a 5800 with 4 position settings some answers already given may not be applicable.

The setup process of these is very different to previous iterations of 105 FD's.

These things need very high cable tension plus should come with a small device to help setup correct cable routing. Like this:

https://images.app.goo.gl/VYnztNRWiNeQaDQd7

Do you have one?

Google "Shimano FD5800 Dealer Manual" for the correct setup PDF.

This video may also be helpful

View: https://youtu.be/n8EyRpb1ibo?si=D0DR2P01YK7FUY5z

OP
OP
thunderlips76

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
Nope didn’t help. The limit screw moves the cage about but that’s not the issue. There’s a point where the FD “snaps” into position disconcertingly.

Top Bottom