1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spoke noise

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by hatless, 5 May 2008.

1. hatless

hatless Über Member

My 'new' second-hand bike makes noises, especially going up hill. They took a while to track down, but it's clearly spoke noise, the pingy rubbing and flexing sound. I can reproduce it by squeezing the spokes.

This week it suddenly got worse. I had broken a spoke! It's now been replaced, but the spoke noise is still there, in fact rather worse than before the break.

This doesn't seem normal to me. Should I take it back to my lbs? Or doesn't it really matter?

2. rustychisel

rustychisel Well-Known Member

I'll bet even money it's uneven spoke tensions, which ultimately is a bad thing [for the wheel]. First you'll break more spokes. Then some more. Then you'll throw the bloody wheel off a bridge.

I would ask the LBS to give the wheel a real good look over and adjust/tension/replace as necessary.

3. A teensy bit of oil at the spoke /hub intersection can help - and between crossing spokes

4. Thats right BUT just put it where the spokes cross in the middle if the spokes are making a noise any where else there is some thing up.