Spokes de-lists events requiring helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sunnyjim

Points for that. But Spokes continues to champion narrow painted 'cycle' lanes.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Points for that. But Spokes continues to champion narrow painted 'cycle' lanes.
so I understand. At least, I'm sure you're right. Because, to be honest, when I went to the website in the hope of finding a direct route from Dalkeith to the Forth Bridge I found myself awash in disconnected information.

sunnyjim

so I understand. At least, I'm sure you're right. Because, to be honest, when I went to the website in the hope of finding a direct route from Dalkeith to the Forth Bridge I found myself awash in disconnected information.

To be fair- there isn't one. you're crossing a lot of radial roads, and against the grain of the country, so it's always a series of doglegs. A while ago someone here (Tricyclist Ben Lovejoy- haven't seen him for a while) reported being signposted onto the motor-only bypass without warning. The Spokes city & surrounding maps, while not perfect, are well worth having.

Recycler

It seems a bit pathetic to me. They are cutting their nose off to spite their face. Anybody who lives in the area now knows that the site does not give comprehensive listings of events so they should look elsewhere for information. Lots of people are happy enough to wear helmets so why not let them have the information?

Perhaps it would be better to list the events but indicate which events require helmets? People can then make their own minds up.

It seems a bit pathetic to me. They are cutting their nose off to spite their face. Anybody who lives in the area now knows that the site does not give comprehensive listings of events so they should look elsewhere for information. Lots of people are happy enough to wear helmets so why not let them have the information?

Perhaps it would be better to list the events but indicate which events require helmets? People can then make their own minds up.

You could say the same of the events. Lots of people are happy enough to ride without a helmet so why not let them participate?

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
That wouldn't change anything. They're trying to dissuade event organisers from having a ridiculous rule forcing people to wear a helmet to participate in an activity that is statistically incredibly safe - far safer than walking downstairs, for example. By adopting this policy, it puts pressure on organisers to rethink their stance.

sunnyjim

I made vroom-vroom noises as I cycled along it ...

Ah Ha ! - so that's where you got to.

I did have a loook at the signs round there after reading your account. You were unlucky -the new A68 extension and junction with the bypass had just been opened- Presumably they had covered the old signs leading all traffic through Dalkeith.

Enjoyed your log and pics of the journey.

Recycler

That wouldn't change anything. They're trying to dissuade event organisers from having a ridiculous rule forcing people to wear a helmet to participate in an activity that is statistically incredibly safe - far safer than walking downstairs, for example. By adopting this policy, it puts pressure on organisers to rethink their stance.

I doubt that it will have any effect at all except to make the Spokes site less useful as a source of information. There are so many ways to publicise an event that organisers will simply look elsewhere. In any case at most events the vast majority of riders seem to wear helmets anyhow so, if a few choose not to go, it is unlikely to have much/any impact on the organisers.

I will be surprised if any organizers change their mind because of Spokes.

To me it seems such a piffling thing to worry about that I simply wouldn't bat an eyelid at a rule like that. Others obviously think it is a big issue. Each to their own.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Every event that insists on helmets is one step closer to compulsion.

And yes, a single website adopting this policy will have little effect, but if other sites follow their example, it will snowball.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Has anyone actually come across someone that was banned from taking part in a sportive because they were sans helmet?

And if someone did turn up to a sportive sans helmet. would the organisers actually stop them participating?

Do sportive organiser make sure that all helmets are fitted properly?

It is amazing how many cyclists don't seem to wear a helmet properly. Too far on the back of the head for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom