Spokes keep loosening on rear wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fifelad

Veteran
Just want opinions. My winter/commuter bike has done a lot of miles in crap conditions and I’ve not had a lot of bother up until now. The wheel is a Mavic Aksium bladed spokes. LBS has tightened/trued the odd spoke. I’m thinking the time is just up on it ? We’re talking into the thousands in respect of mileage

What is the question?

Drago

Legendary Member
I gave up with Aksiums for similar reasons. From new, in my case, they failed to hold a decent tension long enough for me to even fasten my helmet, never mind actually complete a few decent rides. Some people rave about them but I found them to be rubbish, far worse than the bikes original uber cheap wheels they were replacing.

Sharky

Guru
I've been using aksiums for a long time now, without any problems.

In your example, I think you just have to add up the inconvenience and costs of keeping the wheel true against the cost of a replacement wheel. I would treat yourself to a new wheel set for the summer and keep your current wheels ready with heavier tyres for the winter months next year - and keep a spoke key in your tool bag.

OP
OP
Fifelad

Fifelad

Veteran

In your example, I think you just have to add up the inconvenience and costs of keeping the wheel true against the cost of a replacement wheel. I would treat yourself to a new wheel set for the summer and keep your current wheels ready with heavier tyres for the winter months next year - and keep a spoke key in your tool bag.
LBS are very good true wheel for nothing. I may just purchase at least a new rear wheel

Sharky

Guru
LBS are very good true wheel for nothing. I may just purchase at least a new rear wheel
Sounds like you've got a good LBS - well worth supporting them and getting a new wheel from them.
How far are they from Gravesend?

Ajax Bay

Guru
"I take it it's the left side spokes which are loosening."
Funnily enough yes ! Explain....
Because you need to fit a cassette in on the right hand side the angle of the right hand spokes is more acute (to the plane of the wheel) than the spoke angle on the left: called dishing. This means that the tension in each left hand spoke is much less than those on the right (they have to 'pull' the rim with the same force laterally (ie at right angles to the plane of the wheel). Disc braked wheels have much less dish (because space is needed for the disc on the left side).
The more extreme the dish (eg with an wide cassette and rim brakes) the greater the difference. So with (say) 1000N tension in each right hand spoke, its opposite number on the left is only at (say 700N). If the whole wheel is undertensioned then it'll be the left hand spokes that go loose well before any right hand spokes and I surmise this is what has generated the symptoms described.
I hope your LBS not only trued the wheel but wound up the tension both sides - you can ask them. This is a intitial construction issue, which can be remediated as opposed to 'not quite right; replace' imo and I suspect the majority on here will concur.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru

My sons Ribble has a set and they’re fine, I do need to true them now and again but that is due to the state of the roads not a weakness of the wheels.

Without causing offence, what weight are you? If you are a larger build it will make a difference. Nearly every bike we buy off a bigger bloke the wheels need straightening. :whistle:

Ajax Bay

Guru
If you are a larger build it will make a difference. Nearly every bike we buy off a bigger bloke the wheels need straightening.
Anecdata. Please explain the causal relationship you're suggesting (not questioning your experience). Or are you saying that nearly
every bike we buy off <anyone> the wheels need straightening? Speaking from a 75kg angle (not to grind).

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
95kg here and never have to true any of my handbuilt wheels after initial build.
Recently built and fitted wheels to my new commuter (now nearly 18 months old) and decided to stick with only 24 spokes in the front as I reused the existing hub.
Now got at least 500 miles of hard winter commuting on this wheel and still haven't had to touch the spokes since the wheel build was completed.
Get some proper wheels and fit & forget :okay:

Top Bottom