Spokes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
The_Cycling_Scientist

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
Same side, cluster vs non cluster, it should work out, check to see that the end of the spoke does not protrude above the spoke nipple vis-a -vis the inside of the rim, where it could contact the tube. Try to be careful to get the tension about the same as the spokes surrounding. Worst come to worst, you were headed to the LBS anyway.

so it could be possible... hmmm I think I know where I am headed this weekend, (over to the in-laws in the aim to replace the spoke.. I have a little tool. I straight away noticed that the whole wheel had lost tension as soon as the spoke was snapped but no big massive wiggle when riding just a plink every time it moved.. so I am imagining I might even get away with just sticking a temp spoke in (with a thorough testing of course to ensure it works before I put it all back together and rupture a inner tube from a spoke!
I can't imagine it's that hard to remove and replace spokes really :smile: (time to visit good old YT.com! haha)

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Or maybe put a new freewheel on the old wheel lying about, and use that one until the other gets a spoke. Whichever is cheapest. But I think cannibalizing an old spoke is cheaper than a freewheel. Maybe the In-laws can lend a hand as well. Always was fun when the relations would come to get bicycles fixed by my Dad. Worst come to worst, another fellow who new even more than he did would get called in, grill got fired up, tales were told of exploits, fresh and stale.

Crankarm

Guru
so it could be possible... hmmm I think I know where I am headed this weekend, (over to the in-laws in the aim to replace the spoke.. I have a little tool. I straight away noticed that the whole wheel had lost tension as soon as the spoke was snapped but no big massive wiggle when riding just a plink every time it moved.. so I am imagining I might even get away with just sticking a temp spoke in (with a thorough testing of course to ensure it works before I put it all back together and rupture a inner tube from a spoke!
I can't imagine it's that hard to remove and replace spokes really :smile: (time to visit good old YT.com! haha)

If you are indeed in Cambridge take it to The Bicycle Ambulance in the entrance of Jesus Lane car park. The guy there Andy knows a thing or two about wheel building and builds good wheels. He will take a look at it and tell you whether it's worth repairing or binning for new.

HTH.

OP
OP
The_Cycling_Scientist

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
If you are indeed in Cambridge take it to The Bicycle Ambulance in the entrance of Jesus Lane car park. The guy there Andy knows a thing or two about wheel building and builds good wheels. He will take a look at it and tell you whether it's worth repairing or binning for new.

HTH.

I am indeed. does he have a place or is that the old converted ambulance? I had spotted the ambulance once in Newmarket Road Tesco carpark and thought it was a brilliant use of an old ambulance. :smile:
as I am guessing you've had wheels re-built by the chap what's the rough going rate for his handy work?
Many thanks :smile:

Crankarm

Guru
I am indeed. does he have a place or is that the old converted ambulance? I had spotted the ambulance once in Newmarket Road Tesco carpark and thought it was a brilliant use of an old ambulance. :smile:
as I am guessing you've had wheels re-built by the chap what's the rough going rate for his handy work?
Many thanks :smile:

The Bicycle Ambulance is a small but perfectly formed bike shop. The guy who builds the wheels is Andy and I think the Boss. It is in the entrance of Park Street car park just off Jesus Lane. I tried other bike shops in the area and they either couldn't build a wheel for toffee or just gave silly money quotes meaning they didn't want the work. This guy is a good wheel builder. They are all passionate about bikes and cycling. Also if you are into fixed wheel then this is the shop to go to but they can service all bikes. Go and take a look and see what they say.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Replacing a single spoke is easy. Take the old spoke to the shop - get one the same size - replace, tension up until wheel true and go.
Most often its rear spokes that go on the cassette side so that will need taking off to change the spoke.
One thing to be wary of is that often when one goes more will follow. So if you take the wheel to a bike shop your £10 repair may mount up as you take the wheel back many times. Not much of an issue though if you do it yourself as they go. Alternatively you can get them to rebuild the wheel with good quality stainless steel spokes and then the spokes of the wheel will probably outlast the rims/hubs.....

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Most often its rear spokes that go on the cassette side so that will need taking off to change the spoke.

Not necessarily. I've replaced a couple of spokes on the cassette side of my hybrid - and managed to do it easily without removing the cassette.
However, with the correct tools, cassette removal only takes a minute or so.

OP
OP
The_Cycling_Scientist

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
Replacing a single spoke is easy. Take the old spoke to the shop - get one the same size - replace, tension up until wheel true and go.
One thing to be wary of is that often when one goes more will follow. So if you take the wheel to a bike shop your £10 repair may mount up as you take the wheel back many times. Not much of an issue though if you do it yourself as they go. Alternatively you can get them to rebuild the wheel with good quality stainless steel spokes and then the spokes of the wheel will probably outlast the rims/hubs.....

Ive noticed mine is on the cassette side so it's going to a LBS tomorrow to get a quote for a new spoke and true, I did concider the idea of a new wheel but that might come in time as I have a feeling that the one after another might be an issue at later dates.

Not necessarily. I've replaced a couple of spokes on the cassette side of my hybrid - and managed to do it easily without removing the cassette.

at some point I will have to invest in these tools! I feel it would probably be one of these things if you wanted to do repairs often it would be worth the first purchase price. :smile:

Tim Hall

Presumably only spokes that thread in from the cassette side can be fitted that way. Line up the holes in the sprockets with the one in the hub. Half the spokes will be facing the other way, with their heads on the inside face of the hub flange.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Oh boy and here's where it gets interesting.. I will keep this from the other half then.. I already got told off when I said it would set me back another big chunk to get it winter ready with Conti hardshell tires and crudz guards so to splash out on a special wheel will make her very displeased! (this was supposed to be a cheaper option than owning a car.. £200+ of spending later she's not too convinced it's cheaper) haha
Bikes are almost always cheaper than cars. A years car insurance will cost most people way more than £200.

If it's just a commuter bike, rather than a machine for racing or serious weekend riding, I'd just stick a new spoke in.

DaveP60

I'm surprised that no one seems to have picked up on the age of this wheel - 28 years IIRC.
If you can get a new spoke in, fine. If that spoke will pull the wheel back into a useable state without going to insane tensions, that's as good as it's likely to get. Start tinkering with any other spokes - well I'd expect a fair proportion to break instead of adjusting. Sounds grim, but TBH I don't see why you shouldn't be lucky!
Your main problem seems to be that you haven't properly explained the concept of set up costs!

OP
OP
The_Cycling_Scientist

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
Well took the wheel into Bicycle ambulance today... Fab job they did! Just got it home and back on the bike.. if I hadn't just been up all night to help the lady get her deadline stuff sorted I would be off out on the bike... Tomorrow's a new day and the old Devil is back!! OHH YESS!!! Thanks for all the advice. BicycleAmbulance really are top notch :smile:

OP
OP
The_Cycling_Scientist

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
What did he charge you @The_Cycling_Scientist ? (if it is not a personal question;))
Price of a true, spokes they said was 65p and a true was £12. I was really pleased with the price, they took my number and said any problems like extra spokes went twang in the process they'd call.. but as soon as I collected they said no issues and handed a nice and VERY straight wheel over :biggrin:

Top Bottom