Sport Relief London Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
I did the 50 mile ride for sports relief 2 years ago. (Manchester). It was about this time that I started gradually building up the miles, as I was doing 22 mile rides up till then. Eventually I increased the 22 up to 26 which I did as a repeat, so I could use the facilities at home as a refreshment stop.

On the day, there were plenty of portaloos on route and 3 refreshment / mechanical support stops. There were marshals everywhere, at all junctions, some roving on bikes and some patrolling segments in vehicles. I had a puncture 2 miles from the half way point as I was walking back, I was picked up and taken back to the support tent. The weather was so cold that my hands were too cold to attempt it on my own.
I didn't eat enough at the half way point or afterwards, so although I made it round, I was too tired to do anything for a while.

All in all, it was a great experience and I wish you good luck with your training and on the day.

Shaun

Founder
Right I was challenged by my students to do this and i know there are two types of ride the 25 and then the 50 miles one. Both happen on the 20th of March but my question is... "How difficult is the challenge?" I enjoy cycling although never done more than 18 miles on go. Yes I know... blooming kids!!!!

In essence how many miles do I need to put in in order to be ready for it and also how hilly is this ride? Hills and my Nicki Minaj bottom dont get along at all.

If you can do 18 miles, you should be able to do the 50. You'll have all day to complete it and if you start early and just take a steady pace, stopping for breaks here and there, you should be able to make it round.

It's not like going out on your own, there will be other people on the course, and it might be a good idea to get someone to come along and do it with you (partner? friend/s? some of your students perhaps?) as the company can be a good distraction from the time you've been on the bike and any physical fatigue you might feel in at midway stage (you can expect to feel somewhat knackered at the end ;)).

The only thing that might make a difference is the weather. March could be warm and dry or cold and damp (the way our winters are at the moment in the UK) but would you get as much satisfaction from completing the 25 mile route as you would making it to the end of the 50 mile one?

Good luck, whichever one you choose, and do come back and tell us all about it and post some pictures. :okay:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Lovely route that, by the looks of it. Good roads and rolling countryside: i.e. not pan flat, but nothing that anyone from Yorkshire would consider a 'hill'! The 50 mile route has the best bits in it too, while the 25-mile route doesn't make it outside the M25: the extra 25 miles is definitely worth it. Now, where do I sign up...? ^_^

Ajax Bay

Guru
In your time frame (by 20 March) primary requirements are to get your bike fully sorted and get your points of contact sorted, particularly getting your 'Nicki Minaj bottom' acquainted with the saddle.

OP
OP
Snorrarcisco

Snorrarcisco

Regular
lol cheers Ajax Bay. Bike is getting a done up this weekend as my back is still hurting (Sciatic nerve) points of contact i have a slightly wider more comfortable saddle at the moment just need to check it works on longer distances

Top Bottom