Sportive banditry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

amaferanga said:
Cat3/Cat4 races are usually less than 40 miles, not particularly hilly and on circuits. Not really the same thing as a 100 mile hilly sportive is it?
And they use roads that races wouldn t touch with a bargepole. I take part in all disciplines both on and off road, and enjoy them all, but must say a lot off road racers seem to have had a personality by-pass. Each to their own.

PaulB

Legendary Member
ASC1951 said:
Exactly.

I don't share some people's enthusiasm for driving all over the region just to do a timed and supported ride but if I had paid my £25 and was followed round by someone who plainly hadn't, I would think "What an arse".

If you can't operate a map, watch and cafe on your own, Bonker, you need to learn. OTOH if you want to pirate a sportive because you want the buzz of cycling in a race but don't want to pay the £25, you are an arse.

I disagree a bit on this one. I've done a couple of rides where I've wanted to do the routes, on public roads, and just happened to want to do THAT route at the same-ish time the Sportive was on. I also thought it was a bit divvy to want to enrich the organiser who was exploiting your enthusiasm. After all, an Audax can be entered from about 2 quid.

PK99

Legendary Member
PaulB said:
I disagree a bit on this one. I've done a couple of rides where I've wanted to do the routes, on public roads, and just happened to want to do THAT route at the same-ish time the Sportive was on. I also thought it was a bit divvy to want to enrich the organiser who was exploiting your enthusiasm. After all, an Audax can be entered from about 2 quid.

some people don't want to navigate in areas they don't know, some like the idea of back up/broom wagon, some like scheduled food stops with additional support. to some £20 is petty cash and a very small fraction of the overall costs of cycling, some like the pseudo-race aspect

sportives hit buttons an audax does not

PaulB

Legendary Member
PK99 said:
some people don't want to navigate in areas they don't know, some like the idea of back up/broom wagon, some like scheduled food stops with additional support. to some £20 is petty cash and a very small fraction of the overall costs of cycling, some like the pseudo-race aspect

sportives hit buttons an audax does not

In some cases, I agree but in others, I don't. They're kind of a half-way house; neither fish, nor foul. Not a race, not an Audax but right in the middle, like the hole in a Polo.

yello

Togley said:
What I don't really understand is if you want the buzz of cycling in a race get road racing. Sportives are a bit pseudo.

Yes, fair enough, I appreciate your opinion. Personally, I think it's a bit harsh though. You can 'one-off' a sportive without getting into the road racing scene.

I'm not a road racer, I'm not quick enough and it's not my thing. Sportives aren't my thing either really but I have ridden in a few and it is a buzz, and one that I'd like to experience again at some point.

I personally think it's a bit crap to do one without paying. Even though you may not make use of the food stops, you are relying on the organisation of the ride and taking advantage of any road controls, junction closures, etc etc etc. But, whatever, I wouldn't pack a sad over it.

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
yello said:
I personally think it's a bit crap to do one without paying. .....

I would agree unless it is an event organised by one of those reached organisers that charge far too much and deliver far too little. In which case I would advocate 'free-riders' simply to make a point.

lukesdad

SheilaH said:
Making shed loads of cash for the organiser perchance?

Tour of Pembrokeshire......for instance after running costs all proceeds to the Welsh Air Ambulance. Could go on if you like but, I wont bother. If you dont want to ride them then dont, plenty do.

SheilaH

Please do go on, I'd love to know what proportion of sportives are not for profit. I choose not to ride them because I ride lots of miles and paying to do so would run into four figures. It is of course up to people how they spend their money, and of course for many a 150k ride is an event in itself.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
As long as they remain as immenseley popular as they are then companies and charities will keep organizing them.

I have entered my first one which is in July and am really looking forward to it. Personally I wouldnt dream of criticizing how others enjoy there cycling you can cycle up the A1 naked on a unicycle for all I care. Each to his own.

SheilaH

Agreed.

However, compare these two events. A mate of mine rode a 150k sportive in Cornwall this weekend. He said he had to queue for ages to get water because there was one barrel serving about a thousand riders. £25 a head.

I rode a 600k audax. £17 with a youth hostel booked out for riders to get their heads down for a few hours, three halls booked for controls and volunteers manning all of them lavishing riders with care and good humour. Not a rider in sight gurgling down energy gels just because Cycling Weekly says you have to.

Threelionsbrian

If a large chunk of the fee goes to a charity then fine, i personally hate sponsored events all that finding sponsorship. It's supposed to be a bike ride and that's what i would enter for. I would find doing the same event year after year a little ridiculous too without drastic changes to the route each time.

I did my first ever one, and for 15 quid I thought it was great.
I went placesd I would not normally go, they chose the route, so I didn't have to bother, the timimg chip was easier than me trying to do it !
They had feed stations, so that less stress for me, plus the more bikers there are the more safe I feel.

I think they are great and 15 - 25 quid is not exactly bank breaking stuff. Plus if I am 50 miles from home and the bike is knackered for some unknown reason, they will get you home.

gavintc

Guru
PaulB said:
In some cases, I agree but in others, I don't. They're kind of a half-way house; neither fish, nor foul. Not a race, not an Audax but right in the middle, like the hole in a Polo.

That would explain why sportives are selling out in days and have seen a resurgence of interest in sport cycling. I think your hole analogy is a bit hollow.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
gavintc said:
That would explain why sportives are selling out in days and have seen a resurgence of interest in sport cycling. I think your hole analogy is a bit hollow.

:laugh:
If I had been drinking something just now, I would need a new keyboard!

Sorry, please feel free to get back to the topic ...:biggrin:

T

Top Bottom