Sportive banditry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonk man

50 quid for a bike ride,,,, pharrrrrrrrrrrr:laugh: they are,,, and those who pay this sort of money; very mad.

£25 is more than enough to pay for any event, I have done one or two at that price but have done a few as a ringer when mates cannot do the ride they have paid for, of course this is against the rules on some rides but not all .

If I do another I am going to use either my Moulton [ 4 speed 1960's ] or Holdsworth 3 speed touring bike just to wind up the carbon fibre crew. If I could find a flattish course I have a Mk1 Moulton that is stripped down and has lightweight wheels, it looks daft but is very quick:laugh:

amaferanga

Veteran
bonk man said:
50 quid for a bike ride,,,, pharrrrrrrrrrrr:laugh: they are,,, and those who pay this sort of money; very mad.

£25 is more than enough to pay for any event, I have done one or two at that price but have done a few as a ringer when mates cannot do the ride they have paid for, of course this is against the rules on some rides but not all .

If I do another I am going to use either my Moulton [ 4 speed 1960's ] or Holdsworth 3 speed touring bike just to wind up the carbon fibre crew. If I could find a flattish course I have a Mk1 Moulton that is stripped down and has lightweight wheels, it looks daft but is very quick:laugh:

I ride a carbon fiber bike on sportives and I can honestly say that I couldn't give a cr@p what you ride. What makes you think this would wind anyone up and what's your problem with folk that ride carbon bikes that makes you want to wind them up in the first place? You sound a bit sad :smile:

jimboalee

bonk man said:

I've got a Moulton Mini. Single speed with a Sachs Torpedo coaster rear hub.
Or I could ride the BSA 20 Sturmey 3 speed with front dynohub which has the lamps on permanently.

Name your event. :rolleyes:

amaferanga is successfully wound up by way of his defiantly stating "I couldn't give a cr@p".....

Keeping quiet would have been the best thing to do. :tongue:

amaferanga

Veteran
jimboalee said:
I've got a Moulton Mini. Single speed with a Sachs Torpedo coaster rear hub.
Or I could ride the BSA 20 Sturmey 3 speed with front dynohub which has the lamps on permanently.

Name your event. :ohmy:

amaferanga is successfully wound up by way of his defiantly stating "I couldn't give a cr@p".....

Keeping quiet would have been the best thing to do. ;)

I'm not exactly wound up! If I saw the guy on a sportive I wouldn't think twice about him, but what I think is quite sad is this guy thinking 'look at me I'm on a silly bike and I'm beating you on an expensive carbon road bike', as if that means anything.

Maybe he should come along to a proper race and see how he does on his silly bike against proper cyclists?

SheilaH

amaferanga said:
I'm not exactly wound up! If I saw the guy on a sportive I wouldn't think twice about him, but what I think is quite sad is this guy thinking 'look at me I'm on a silly bike and I'm beating you on an expensive carbon road bike', as if that means anything.

Maybe he should come along to a proper race and see how he does on his silly bike against proper cyclists?

I've seen Bonk Man ride his skip-sourced Moulton (Dr Foster's March 09) and he can shift pretty damn quick.

jimboalee

amaferanga said:

Bonk man IS a 'proper cyclist'.

Rip Van

Veteran
Fnaar said:
No, the action was a bit slow, so i ate it all :wacko:

Too much popcorn=very satisfying shoot tomorrow(ish)

Talking of which, I just stumbled over this thread again and can't believe it's still going.;)

jamesxyz

you pays your money, you takes your choice ... Don't criticise others' prefs just cos you don't enjoy, can't afford, too tight etc

i like sportives for many of the reasons outlined above i.e. The support, the routes, the company, the fact i'm not good emough to race etc but some are poorly organised with crap feed stations. Take bike events the routes are weell signed and marshalled but feed stops are cafes etc so you habe to buy food but on the other hand they're nearly a teneer cheaper , do you really get 10 quids worth of bananas and flapjack at a aportive?

a positive thing is that i can tell the wife i' mdoing a sportive and she's happy for me to go off for the day but if i said ilm just popping out on the bike for 7 hours + she'd be less impressed!!

Top Bottom