Sportive entry fee?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goody

Veteran
Have entry fees always been about what they are now? I used to compete in motorcycle enduro's which cost about £40ish to enter but were run on private land which had to be payed for, ambulances were always in attendance (usually two) and the event covered by ACU insurance. Paying £30 to ride my bike on the public highway seems a bit steep, are they more of a commercial exercise or are there costs that I'm not aware of?

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Its a business, they are perfectly entitled to make a markup. Personally for me I think having someone bring loads of cyclists together, plan and mark a route, provide parking (in some cases) and food / drink stations is worth every penny.

I like riding in sportives, mainly because its a chance to get out on the roads with 100s if not 1000s of like minded people. But I would agree that some are ridiculously expensive.
You could of course just go out and ride some of the best routes on your own for free. In fact there are many people who wouldn't dream of paying £25 or more to ride on public roads.
But if you like that company of other cyclists, why not look at Audax events. I usually do a couple a year, the cost is between £5-10. You need to be fairly self sufficient and able to follow a route card. But the ones I have done have been well organised and usually with tea and sandwiches at the end.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I like riding in sportives, mainly because its a chance to get out on the roads with 100s if not 1000s of like minded people. But I would agree that some are ridiculously expensive.
You could of course just go out and ride some of the best routes on your own for free. In fact there are many people who wouldn't dream of paying £25 or more to ride on public roads.
But if you like that company of other cyclists, why not look at Audax events. I usually do a couple a year, the cost is between £5-10. You need to be fairly self sufficient and able to follow a route card. But the ones I have done have been well organised and usually with tea and sandwiches at the end.

I was reasonably happy paying £25 /£30 for a sportive but some are charging £50 plus now which I think is taking the p. As long as they keep selling out the prices will continue to rise .

An even cheaper way to ride with other cyclists is to join in a cycle chat informal event somewhere.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
I have been tempted to try audax but not sure if you get the same ''mass-cycling'' effect as you do on a sportive, that's probably the best attraction for me personally. Also, you can always save the route on your GPS etc or just memorise the ride and do it again as many times as you like for free.

Spartak