Sportive entry fee?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A sportive is generally a non competitive event with a few distances for various abilities.
The problem with that statement is that as long as each rider is timed by whatever method, then it becomes a race.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
£20 max here , anymore than that and i can not justify to wife why it costs so much to perddle on a public road

Yes liabilty insurence and council bungs are at an all time high but £63 is not robbery with a smile.
the cost to the CTC of 3rd party insurance is about a fiver per member per year. Which works out at about 1.5p a day.

frank9755

Cyclist
Don't agree with much of that Noodley.
Sure, they will wobble about, move without signals, take the wrong lines, dress innapropriately, struggle with puncture repairs but riding in a friendly group is one of the best places to gain that experience.
After my first sportive last year, i'm sure i was all of the above that you complain about, but i completed my longest ever distance in great company and loved every second of it. Most importantly i felt 10 feet tall back in the pub telling anyone who would listen how enjoyable it was.
Don't be too harsh on us amateurs mate :smile:
IME of course :hello:

Glad you had a good day out. The only bit I'd disagree with is the bit that I've underlined. It's far better to learn how to ride in a group by doing it with people who are experienced and know how to do it already, rather than other beginners - be that in a club, a CTC ride or otherwise.

I like the fact that you proclaim your amateur status! One of the big errors of the amateur cycling clubs in this country was that, for the most part, they missed the sportive trend and failed to organise them, as they do on the continent. That left an opportunity for professional events companies to come in and do it, often very well, and make a little money but without putting anything back into the sport. I think that is behind the antipathy that is sometimes directed towards sportives and some of their riders: that they are not connected to the amateur cycling world, its traditions or values.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
But the typical CTC rider is about 57 and gets palpitations when going above 14mph. He drives a second-hand Vauxhall Vectra, for which he shops around to find an insurance premium of £120 per year. Your average sportive punter is the sort of young gentleman who thinks that £3000 is a good price for insuring his 1.1 litre Ford Ka third party only.

Peteaud

Veteran
But the typical CTC rider is about 57 and gets palpitations when going above 14mph. He drives a second-hand Vauxhall Vectra, for which he shops around to find an insurance premium of £120 per year. Your average sportive punter is the sort of young gentleman who thinks that £3000 is a good price for insuring his 1.1 litre Ford Ka third party only.

Not on the ones ive been on.

I would say the average is a 35 + year old with a £1000 bike and bit of a gut.

robgul

Legendary Member
Not on the ones ive been on.

I would say the average is a 35 + year old with a £1000 bike and bit of a gut.

Yep - we have about 500 of those turn up for our Shakespeare SPRING 100 in April, and then about 850 (with slightly less gut as it's later in the season) for our Shakespeare AUTUMN 100 in September!

Rob

U

User169

Got mailed the details of a sportif today - went to the site to sign up - 240 EUR!!

SonicRob

i'm looking at putting on a sportive this year and will be aiming for somewhere around £30 of which all will go to charity, there will be no profit making

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
i'm looking at putting on a sportive this year and will be aiming for somewhere around £30 of which all will go to charity, there will be no profit making

Good for you, it's how it should be done.
However...
How are you going to fund the sportive if all the entrance fee goes to charity. ie timing chips, controls, signs, food & drink etc? Sponsorship?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Have a look at the Chemo Classic; £15 entry fee, food at the start with soup/cakes 1/2 way and a meal at the end. Really good support and the PCSO's were there to look after the bikes.

And it's all done to support a charity :bravo:

robgul

Legendary Member
Good for you, it's how it should be done.
However...
How are you going to fund the sportive if all the entrance fee goes to charity. ie timing chips, controls, signs, food & drink etc? Sponsorship?

Agreed 100% on the concept

I think perhaps some definitions need clarity : it obviously costs money to stage events - and that is offset against entry fees and donations/sponsorship - and on the positive side of the books with support in cash or kind from supporters - the net result being "the profit" - which then goes to the charity.

The key, of course, is getting the % of net cost that comes from the entry costs as low as possible - to maximise the "profit" amount passed to the charity

If 100% of costs can be covered that's fantastic, but unlikely (we've yet to find a sponsor to fund hiring the toilets for the Shakespeare SPRING & AUTUMN 100s !!!!!)

The underlying issue, discussed here and elsewhere many times is the "commercially organised charity ride" where the whole revenue/cost model is completely different ... with the charity, usually, getting a much smaller amount than it perhaps appears.

Rob

Top Bottom