Sportive entry fees - RIP OFF !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Well, La Marmotte in France started in 1982... and I know you have apparently been cycling since before the bicycle was invented, but this is older than a lot of people who are posting on this board, and there are a few scattered around the world that are earlier than this.

The first Dragon Ride was in 2004. It was so good, the UCI classified it in 2005.

In 1997, I went on a bicycle event at Donington Park Motor Racing Circuit. It was during National Bike Week and was raising money for cycling charities in Leicestershire. Anyone could attend. As it was on a closed road, there were no age, speed or type of bike restrictions.

Attendees could give a few quid and ride round as much as they wished. For a few quid more, race boys, Wannabes and club members could get a number allocated and a marshal would clock the rider each time he/she crossed the start/finish line.

I rode the forty miles to Donington, rode 10 fast laps at race pace with members of Hinckley, Coalville and others ( 2.5 mile laps ), and then rode home to cool down.

In the last couple of laps, we became one big group as it had sucked up lone riders and the marshals were having a real game clocking the numbers. Marshals round the course were cheering as if we were racing.

There were no medals or prizes, just a thoroughly enjoyable day out.

Subsequently, I have ridden a Sportive. Not a patch on the Donington event and not worth doing another.
I ride Audax now and to my mind, a Sportive is an Audax with official timing and the route neatly marked out.

jimboalee

Well, La Marmotte in France started in 1982... and I know you have apparently been cycling since before the bicycle was invented, but this is older than a lot of people who are posting on this board, and there are a few scattered around the world that are earlier than this.

You haven't seen the carving of a man on a two wheeled machine in the Inca temple????

Fran143

Über Member
Jimboalee, given the amount of time you have spent on this thread countering Sportives I have come to the conclusion that you are actually a SECRET SPORTIVER....so come on give it up...we don't mind that you have joined our ranks. :tongue: :biggrin:

yello

Personally I think he's either perversely enjoying stirring it, or likes the attention/platform it's giving him, or is further building this image/ego of knowledge but slightly eccentric old school cyclist.... or combinations of all three and probably more beside. Others would perhaps call it trolling. Jimbo, personally, I think you've made your point - replying to yourself seems like poking it with a stick. Whatever, I think the subject has run it's course.

Though I was hopeful that the thread was turning into a useful discussion on the running of sportives, how they might do better etc...

screenman

Legendary Member
I would just like to know how much profit they actually make if any, of course nobody knows, so this complete post is based purely on speculation that somebody is making bucket loads of dosh at the expense of the poor cyclist.

jimboalee

I would just like to know how much profit they actually make if any, of course nobody knows, so this complete post is based purely on speculation that somebody is making bucket loads of dosh at the expense of the poor cyclist.

This is the whole point of Ventoux50's opening post ;) . How much does it cost? How much profit is made and who banks the money?
As you say, nobody knows ( except the organisers ) and this raises suspicions amongst potential customers.

Others and I have voiced our opinion. In Ventoux50's and my case, we have enough suspicion to avoid the event, and Sportives as a whole.

And also in my case, the "Like it or lump it. They're beating our door down, we don't need you" attitude doesn't smell very rosey.

jimboalee

:tongue:
Well, I don't think they need you, jimboalee. I can't imagine why...

I was hoping the guy ( Ron ) would invite me to see how good a Sportive is, FOC.

Its now plainly obvious 'Sales, Marketing & Promotions' is not their strong point.

I would have though living on the west side of the Atlantic, you'd know what a bit of complaining results in. Some freebies or a boot up the arse. The latter on this occassion :laugh:

OP
OP
ventoux50

ventoux50

If people joining this discussion care to read the original post they will discover that I don't in fact have an aversion to sportive riding - I've done plenty of theme at home and abroad !

My aversion is to paying what amounts to extortionate and unsubstantiated amounts of money to be able to ride in SOME of the events on the calendar (That is of course my opinion, some might beg to differ.)

When all's said and done what is an acceptable fee to one person might not be to the next, it depends on so many factors.

However, what has not been explained to me (Ron are you listening ?) is just how those entry fees are justified, and I would like them to be.

Obviously there is a cost involved with staging any event of this nature, but are punters being forced to pay more to enter an event with a 'bigger name' than they would for an identical event, equipped with identical timing/ showers/ marshalling etc......... essentially, are we paying more for the name ?

ferret fur

Now class. Compare & contrast these two statements (& explain how one individual can voice these two opinions in the same thread & maintain any semblance of credibility.)

I am not a Sportivphobic. I consider myself an 'all round' cyclist willing to have a go at any kind of cycling activity.

Others and I have voiced our opinion. In Ventoux50's and my case, we have enough suspicion to avoid the event, and Sportives as a whole.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Solo riding = North Cheshire League
Audax = Championshp
Sportive = Premiership ?

FourFourTwo readers versus When Saturday Comes readers ?

OP
OP
ventoux50

ventoux50

Here's a thought;

Cycling Weekly Thursday February 18 2010 P. 43 Question 'What does it take to organise a sportive?'

response from Lou Lusardi Dragon Ride Organiser, quote: ' cost: A timing system alone is £10.000, so in all £65.000'

Online entry details for the 2011 event are here:

http://www.verentidragonride.com/

So assuming that the only entries it attracts are 4000 x £22 for the Corto route = £88,000.00 - profit of £23,000.00

or if the full 4000 enter the Gran/medio @ £32 = £128,000.00 - profit of £63,000.00

Taking no account of the new corporate entries.

WOW That equates to a LOT of profit.

Now I know there's inflation to consider etc. but the question remains - just how much profit is justified for staging an event where cyclists pay to ride on open public roads which they can legally ride for free on any other day of the year ?

Someone please justify this level of profit to me !

Ron Keegan

If people joining this discussion care to read the original post they will discover that I don't in fact have an aversion to sportive riding - I've done plenty of theme at home and abroad !

My aversion is to paying what amounts to extortionate and unsubstantiated amounts of money to be able to ride in SOME of the events on the calendar (That is of course my opinion, some might beg to differ.)

When all's said and done what is an acceptable fee to one person might not be to the next, it depends on so many factors.

However, what has not been explained to me (Ron are you listening ?) is just how those entry fees are justified, and I would like them to be.

Obviously there is a cost involved with staging any event of this nature, but are punters being forced to pay more to enter an event with a 'bigger name' than they would for an identical event, equipped with identical timing/ showers/ marshalling etc......... essentially, are we paying more for the name ?

Ron Keegan

Top Bottom