Sportive for a beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoppym27

I fancy doing a non competitive sportive but are they appropriate for a hardtail MTB? I'm just looking for something novice friendly, Im already pyhsically fit as I'm a runner already...I'm in Manchester but willing to travel a bit if needs be.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You can do a Sportive on what ever bike you like. After all it's not a race.
If you think you can complete the course on a MTB then go for it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't remember seeing any sportives banning MTBs and I don't think any British Cycling registered one would but some will discourage it. There might be some sportives that do ban MTBs because there seem to be a few strange ones out there. Check the terms before you enter.

If any medals offered are important to you, check you can complete the course in the time on that bike. Otherwise, it doesn't usually matter much if you roll in after the official finish has packed up - slow riders get swept off the course at RideLondon but I'm not sure if even other closed-road events do that. So give it a try if you like the idea.

heist

Ive seen loads of people at sportives on mountain bikes. Nothing wrong with that at all. Makes it a bit more hard work though. Enjoy!

Last edited:

rivers

How far can I go?
I saw a guy on a Brompton, or similar fold-away bike, complete the Great Weston Ride at the weekend. You'll be fine on a mountain bike

Top Bottom