Sportive Ideas - 70 miles, end of June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I'm looking to ride a 70 mile Sportive around the end of June. I'm going to have a trawl around t'internet but I would be interested to see if anybody has any recommendations or suggestions.

Thanks in advance !

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There's 50 or 100 mile options at Cycle Together Sandringham, raising money for Park House. Lovely countryside, quiet roads, mostly friendly motorists, good organisation raising money for a good cause as well as they can under BC's current strictures.

But really you know you should move on from sportives and try some freewheeling sightseeing rides... the ride to Wisbech Rose Fair from King's Lynn (and back) is the first Saturday in July. It's only 40 miles but it takes us all day for some reason :cheers: ;)

OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm just looking to mix up my training rides working up to Ride London. I do a long ride each weekend, but something different once a month just adds a bit of variety. 70 miles is where I'm looking to be at the end of June, so this would be a bit of a spur. Never tried an Audax, could be a new challenge to take on.

Just to add, I'm not a Wiggo wannabe, just a very average plodder who needs a kick up to backside every so often !

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm just looking to mix up my training rides working up to Ride London. I do a long ride each weekend, but something different once a month just adds a bit of variety. 70 miles is where I'm looking to be at the end of June, so this would be a bit of a spur. Never tried an Audax, could be a new challenge to take on.

Just to add, I'm not a Wiggo wannabe, just a very average plodder who needs a kick up to backside every so often !
Audax sounds perfect for you then!

How about THIS 108 km (67 mile) trip to the Cotswolds from SW of Birmingham?

steverob

Guru
It's a bit of a trek from Northamptonshire, but on Sunday 26th June there is the Tour de Vale (link) which starts in Aylesbury and meanders through the Chilterns.

While the website says the longest route is 100km (62 miles), last year it was actually just over 64 miles according to my GPS, and I don't think they've made any changes to the route for this year. Add on a few more miles by cycling to and from a town centre car park to the start line (as there's a severe lack of parking near the start) and you'll be coming pretty close to 70 by the end of the day.

It's a pretty good event - been running for well over 10 years now and is only £15 if you register in advance.

ColinJ

There are lots of good events but I assumed that one fairly close to Northamptonshire would be preferred ... :whistle:

ColinJ

If possible, but as I've got family in God's Own County I can always head north and fit in a home visit as well. It is somewhat more hilly up there though !
Not necessarily ... @busdennis is planning a loop from York to Hull (actually a Humber Bridge crossing) and back on June 25th - LINK.

The bridge is probably one of the biggest climbs on the ride! That ride will be 105 miles in length, but the lack of climbing means that it should be no harder than a hilly 70 mile ride.

Top Bottom