Sports direct doing SPD shoes for £20? Is this right?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
they're 'proper' in the sense that they appear to be able to take a two-bolt SPD cleat, if that's what you mean. You can't really go wrong for those prices - most of those shoes are cheaper than a round of drinks.... ;)

chewy

good spot, if they are any good...but a few names in there.

Im still on Lidls shoes so can't complain lol

vickster

Legendary Member
They look to have the holes for cleats - some look to be 2 bolt SPD and some 3 bolt SPD-SL

Not sure what you mean by 'proper'?

Can't believe anyone paid £90 for them though!?

Cubist

Still wavin'
I like a bargain, but be prepared for these to be of pretty poor quality. The ones I looked at in the shop felt pretty shoddy. They are worth 20 quid though, in a "buy them to see if you like clipless" sort of way, but I don't think you'll be passing them down through the generations.

Most pedals come with cleats. Some Ebay bargains don't so read the full description before you click on the buy it now button.

Anyway, forget Ebay, and before anyone recomends PD M520 pedals for 20 quid, do yourself a favour and get these
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sh...ano-pedals/shimano-m530-trail-spd-pedals.html

Cubist

Still wavin'
Mixed? I interpreted them as "shite".........^_^

HovR

Über Member
Must admit, I'm tempted to try SPD clipless..

I can get a pair of Shimano SPD pedals from eBay for £20 with cleats, and these shoes adding up to a grand total £40.

If I get along with clipless, I'd use the cheap shoes until they wore out. If I don't get along with it, I could probably sell the shoes and pedals on here for someone else to try clipless, and hopefully recover £20 or so.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Must admit, I'm tempted to try SPD clipless..

I can get a pair of Shimano SPD pedals from eBay for £20 with cleats, and these shoes adding up to a grand total £40.

If I get along with clipless, I'd use the cheap shoes until they wore out. If I don't get along with it, I could probably sell the shoes and pedals on here for someone else to try clipless, and hopefully recover £20 or so.
Most SPD pedals have a release tension setting. My advice is to set that to minimum to give you the best chance of unclipping in a hurry if you need to. NB If the pedals are double-sided, make sure you lower the tensions on both sides. I missed one side on one of my new pedals and couldn't unclip my own foot. I had to get Ajay to do it for me!

You can always increase the tension later once you get used to clipless, but I never bothered. I don't accidentally unclip, which is the only worry about low tension. Just make sure that you don't slide your feet about too much when you are pedalling and you should be fine.

I think that most people who give clipless pedal systems a fair try never want to go back to their old pedals.

Top Bottom