Sports direct doing SPD shoes for £20? Is this right?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob500

Definitely worth giving it a go if your feet have any sort of 'turn' in them. I walk on the outside of my heels, more so on the right. As a result my right cleat is almost pointed to my wee toe.

GlenBen

Über Member
I realise Im bringing back an old thread here, but I wanted to find out if you did get the sports direct shoes? Im in a similar position myself now, fancy a try but not sure.

Also a question about the m530s, does the cage make it possible to ride in normal shoes or would the clippy bit stick into my foot?

Personally I would pay a little more and see if you can get a better set of mtb shoes, bontager, spesh etc. Evans and cycle surgery are quite good in their sales.

The only advantage I found on clips was that my feet stayed stuck to the pedals and it was one less thing to think about when cycling. On my commute when I got tired my feet slipped more than I liked.

Steampig

I know a couple of people who stuck with straps and seem to get on alright with them but I had the opposite of 'clipless moments' with them, being unable to get my feet out on steep climbs when I couldn't climb any further.

I also had a few major wobbles trying to get my feet in when pulling away from traffic lights. I've watched people set off with the pedals upside down and then flipping them and sliding their feet into the straps once they were up to speed.

I'll stick to my SPDs on most of my bikes, and might go back to the Look system for my best bike.

Colin sounds like a daft question but my fear with clipless is not so much getting unclipped but putting feet down, my fear is on steep hills when sometime ive lost momentum ie due to cars, twisting hilly roads (which there are loads round here!!) or simply running out of puff (certainly the main one!!).
I see people say how hard it is to walk in clipless shoes. at least with toe clips i could get me feet out quickly because i never have them tight!
That said if they were tight i might not need to stop!

Radchenister

Veteran
(£22 at Christmas) pic's of the shoes after 12 or so outings, bit of walking every trip (not much - 30 metre gravel drive), they're washed off with a damp brush most trips - bit 'jumpers for goal posts' but do the job; might treat myself to something more refined in the summer but won't have to.

SPD1_zps7e846879.jpg

SPD2_zps90c8ab81.jpg

Cubist

Still wavin'
I realise Im bringing back an old thread here, but I wanted to find out if you did get the sports direct shoes? Im in a similar position myself now, fancy a try but not sure.

Also a question about the m530s, does the cage make it possible to ride in normal shoes or would the clippy bit stick into my foot?
They don't grip enough to use normal shoes, unless it's just round the drive to see if your handlebars are on straight.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Colin sounds like a daft question but my fear with clipless is not so much getting unclipped but putting feet down, my fear is on steep hills when sometime ive lost momentum ie due to cars, twisting hilly roads (which there are loads round here!!) or simply running out of puff (certainly the main one!!).
Yes, emergency dismounts onto protruding cleats can be very alarming. The recessed MTB SPD type though (as shown in the photo above) are much safer. I like the support that my old Sidi shoes and their Look cleats gave my feet but walking in them was very dodgy.

Top Bottom