Sports laundry detergent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nemesis_252

Über Member
OK, so a couple of years ago my sportswear started to smell, despite being washed after every use, and regardless of which 'normal' detergent I used and which washing cycle I used.

After some research, it turns out this is a common problem with synthetic sports wear, and a special type of detergent was needed. The advice was to use Halo, which solved the problem. I then discovered one from Wilko which was larger for less money, and I also preferred the smell.

Annoyingly, Wilko have now discontinued their Activewear.

I've seen an Ecozone one on Amazon, and wonder if anyone has used it?

Is anybody aware of any other detergents that do a similar job to Halo?

Cheers,
Michael

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I wash all my sportswear (lycra) at 30 degrees with whatever detergent we get from Aldi
Never had a problem with smelling after washing.
Are you sure it's not your washing machine? As they can smell quite bad if not cleaned regular.

Tesco non bio laundry detergent with Tesco antibacterial liquid in the softener/conditioner drawer. It’s the only one as a family we can use without bringing anyone out in a rash and scratching fest.

Sometimes it’s blue liquid and sometimes its white both clean nicely at 30/40 degrees.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Is it one particuar base or top - I find natural base layers or those designed with some anti-bac properties best. 30c 45 min was here for my daily st

Drago

Legendary Member
Goodness. How do builders, warehouse workers, perverts, and other folk who get unduly sweaty manage with normal detergent?

I have to say I never even knew that sports detergent was a thing, and my lycra has suffered none the worse for it.

I do all the washing - and all the domestic work, aside from cooking - and Bold non-bio pods do an admirable job on sweaty lycra at 30°C, if thats of any use to you?

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Halo is available at Sainsburys at a better price than the likes of Wiggle

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Ariel is the best for everything there's been loads of tests done and its the market leader. I'd just get that and make sure your washing on the right temperature not stuffing the machine too full etc.

FTFY

I wouldn't use a biological detergent on anything with lycra in myself
Is that because it's bio, or lycra?
If it's the bio bit then an extra rinse will usually get rid of residue - usually that's only an issue if you use recommended (over)dose or the machine is overfull - my wife generally does both!

vickster

Legendary Member
Is that because it's bio, or lycra?
If it's the bio bit then an extra rinse will usually get rid of residue - usually that's only an issue if you use recommended (over)dose or the machine is overfull - my wife generally does both!
Both. And my skin doesn’t like bio liquid. I’m using the Dettol anti bacterial stuff in with the kit now, smells nice

TwoStews

Try this; it works a treat for me.

Fill a bucket of bowl with cold water. Add a good glug (like a mug's worth) of white distilled vinegar and then chuck in your smellies to soak for 30 mins or so. Then wash as normal.

Really effective, costs a few pennies and less chemicals and stuff in the mix too.

Top Bottom