Sports massage-do they always hurt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Related to my other post. I've just started having sports massages on my legs. I've had 2 so far on my rear upper lower limbs. My goodness me they hurt, the masseurs assure me they get easier, is this true or am I always going to feel sore afterwards?

Steve H

Large Member
My wife does quite a lot of massage work. She doesn't do the full on pressure of sports massage, but I struggle to take the pressure she dishes out. She calls me a wuss! Not sure I'd dare go for the full on sports massage experience.

I thought it was more sore during though, rather than you feeling sore afterwards???

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
They *do* get better, but if I've been doing hillwork or not stretching enough it can still be excruciating and can still feel achey and almost bruised for a couple of days afterwards. Luckily, I can also feel how much looser my legs/glutes etc are almost immediately afterwards, otherwise I'd have given up ages ago!

Berties

Fast and careful!
a lot of injuries emulate from muscles that get to tight due to not stretching,i now try to keep my muscle groups in my legs stretched out and keeps the amount of sports massage to a minimum,after events i have often taken up offers of a sports massage and giggle with nervous pain ,but it does get better

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Yes, they do hurt - it's all normal, you should start feeling the benefits after a while and it does get easier

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
a lot of injuries emulate from muscles that get to tight due to not stretching,i now try to keep my muscle groups in my legs stretched out and keeps the amount of sports massage to a minimum,after events i have often taken up offers of a sports massage and giggle with nervous pain ,but it does get better
I have to stretch my legs pretty much daily to avoid tight leg muscles causing me lower back pain, definitely seems to make a huge difference to the number of days I suffer back ache.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Cheers for the replies guys and gals. Seems like I'm not the only one falling to pieces then.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I had one once, after I pulled my abductor magnus (ironically while doing some rehabilitation exercises for a knee injury). Afterwards I struggled to walk for about a week.

I regularly use a foam roller and that is hell too, but I generally don't hurt afterwards!

yep - I found they got easier to manage if done regularly - that is everywhere except my glutes. Always thought that my sports therapist and my chiropractor could easily work in interrogation. "does this hurt?"... when I come off the roof, I'll let you know.

Crimmey

After doing Manc - Bpool I was screaming like girl in absolute agony from a massage :sad: I've had many since and they've not been as bad

Booyaa

Veteran
It gets better, been getting regular sports massages for about 15 years, still makes me cry like a lil girl now and again but certainly the first few times are the worst. New injuries/knots/stretches almost make it more painful! Keep at it and you will begin to enjoy the massage.

Top Bottom