'Spose I should confess really

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Over The Hill said:
If you just remember that all the rest of the drivers in normal cars think that 4x4 refers to the size of your knob you will soon get rid if it!

Its actually a very old and a bit tatty 4X4, not a status symbol.

Unfortunately, I'm hung like a wasp anyway and am not really too bothered what other drivers think, or don't think, about my level of endowment ;) :biggrin:

A diesel estate is a fantastic car, especially a merc :becool:, and a practical choice. It just wouldn't be as good for towing a caravan across muddy fields or on the offroad driving pay&play sites.
I also do a lot of fishing where I am allowed to park in the farmers field, but although it can be driven in a saloon (I've done it a few times) its pretty hairy and you risk grounding or getting stuck.
The only other option is to park it on the road but in the area I fish you'd be lucky to find it still there in the morning :angry:

A 4X4 is obviously a cr*p choice for commuting, town driving, or driving anywhere on tarmac really.
As I say, I'm in the process of buying an old motorbike for the days I can't cycle to work which will drop the mileage on the 4X4 way down, and even with its thirsty engine I'm sure my CO2 footprint will be lower than average overall.

I'm not really trying to defend it, but I can assure you all its not a status symbol and does get used for its intended purpose ie bullying lesser vehicles out of the way :smile:

(only joking ;) )

There are good reasons for owning a 4x4. Having a high seating position, protecting your kids and general commuting are not good reasons. Doing something like you do is a good reason.

One of my relatives used to live at the end of a 1 mile farm track. They broke a number of cars on it and often got stuck in heavy rain or when trees came down. They finally gave up and bought a 2nd hand disco. This served them well until a tyre blew on a bend and it rolled, not something that would have happened in a car and I wonder how many people driving them realize how unstable they can be.

My own is more of a car, an ugly car but a car with some 4x4 capability (Subaru). A lot of people here in sticks have them. Says something about the state of the road(s) here more than anything.

In response to the OP ... I'm getting fat (still pass for svelte at a distance), I drive a 20 year old Volvo estate 35 000 miles or so every year, I rarely cycle anywhere any more and I drive an HGV every day. Feel better now, Panter?:smile:

<listens> ... I'll just go and investigate that angry mob noise outside. Back in a mo.</listens>

Top Bottom