Spotted for sale elsewhere: Vintage / Classic bikes, framesets and components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nice, the thought that pops into my head, and remember it is early.

“did he spray the bike to match the 653 transfers or add the transfers because they are the same colour as the bike”

He claims to have bought it like that and has no idea who made it and if it's been repainted or if it's just very tidy .

Seat post is shimmed

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Neat looking 653 framed Barron in Grimsby - currently £35 but unlikely to stay that low!

Alan O

Über Member
Nice, the thought that pops into my head, and remember it is early.

“did he spray the bike to match the 653 transfers or add the transfers because they are the same colour as the bike”
According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_Technology, a 653 tube set uses 753 stays, and 753 was "restricted only to approved builders certified by Reynolds". I can't see such a select builder not putting their name on a frame, so it's surely been resprayed. And that would mean they're new stickers too.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Neat looking 653 framed Barron in Grimsby - currently £35 but unlikely to stay that low!

Thats very nice indeed .

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_Technology, a 653 tube set uses 753 stays, and 753 was "restricted only to approved builders certified by Reynolds". I can't see such a select builder not putting their name on a frame, so it's surely been resprayed. And that would mean they're new stickers too.

I agree re repaint just a shame more info not known

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My 653 frame doesn't even have a frame number or headbadge,

DSCN0053.JPG

raleighnut

Legendary Member
How curious - who made it?
No-one knows, it does have some lovely 'details' like that seatpost cluster and a tube brazed into the top tube that the rear brake cable runs in with angled stops set flush into the top tube ends that are an exact fit for a ferrule ended cable. The BB shell has 3 angled drainage slots and brazed on cable guides too, lovely workmanship.

Alan O

Über Member
No-one knows, it does have some lovely 'details' like that seatpost cluster and a tube brazed into the top tube that the rear brake cable runs in with angled stops set flush into the top tube ends that are an exact fit for a ferrule ended cable. The BB shell has 3 angled drainage slots and brazed on cable guides too, lovely workmanship.
Yes, that seatpost cluster does look nice, as does the seat stay bridge. I wonder if maybe it was built by someone not officially approved by Reynolds? I'm sure it can't have been too hard to get hold of some 753 stays.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Stop me if you've seen this before but, as I have observed on other occasions, very noice. If I ever get to the UK in time for Eroica, this would have to be the velocipede of choice.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cycle/122902043881?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:blush:T&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
Very nice. :becool:

I suspect you'd need to change the gearing to something a bit 'wider' mind it is handy for the Tissington Trail. Oh and I think you could add another 'nought' on the price and it'd still be a bargain.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

wonderdog

Yes it was pointed out a couple of days back and very nice indeed

@wonderdog i could always lend you one for l'eroica to save bringing you one across
That's incredibly generous - it would at least involve my parting with copious quantities of the dram of your choice. I've been trying to talk my beloved into a tandem - pref a Claud Butler short wheelbase - but she keeps reminding me that she's a disciple of non-running tennis and that she wouldn't be an altogether reliable stoker. Oh well ...

Top Bottom