Spotted for sale elsewhere: Vintage / Classic bikes, framesets and components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Was there spoke rationing in force when those wheels were built, I wonder? There's saving weight, and there's being silly. Those have crossed the line. I don't think they'd stay true very long with me riding it!
Its not saving weight as much as aero dynamics. The front wheel has less spokes and they are slightly thinner than the rear wheel spokes. The shape of the rims also help by reducing drag . Ideally there would be no spokes and a disc wheel .....now where have l seen those ?

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I think you'd be surprised @SkipdiverJohn, I'm not saying they are good touring rims or anything, but I'm 13.5 stone and I've got a few sets of the similar Campag Shamal wheels with 16 spokes each, and I've done many 1000's of miles on them, mostly on London's crap roads, and they've been utterly bomb proof, never broken a spoke or ever needed to have them trued. I did have set of 12 spoke ones that cracked the rims though, that was definitely too few spokes for cake connoisseurs^_^

@woodbutcher it's a nice looking bike for sure:okay:

woodbutcher

Veteran
I think you'd be surprised @SkipdiverJohn, I'm not saying they are good touring rims or anything, but I'm 13.5 stone and I've got a few sets of the similar Campag Shamal wheels with 16 spokes each, and I've done many 1000's of miles on them, mostly on London's crap roads, and they've been utterly bomb proof, never broken a spoke or ever needed to have them trued. I did have set of 12 spoke ones that cracked the rims though, that was definitely too few spokes for cake connoisseurs^_^

@woodbutcher it's a nice looking bike for sure:okay:
If l can scrape the necessary together l will go for it :whistle:

netman

Veteran
Somebody please buy this beautiful bargain to save me having to drive a 4 hour round trip! https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/vintage-ladies-racing-road-bike-1960s-mondia/1333634327

So, went to view and it came home with me for £100... quite a bit of work needed, seat post does appear to be seized, terrible 700c wheels without long enough drop brakes(!) so rubbing on the tyre (no wonder it's lady owner went over the bars on it!) but it's a very nicely crafted frame and very lightweight. Might start it's own thread when I get to it...

Also happened to pick this lovely Carlton Criterium up from the original owner - for the vast sum of £10.51...(and a fairly long detour home!) Needs a clean and polish and I'll source the correct drop bars for it and it'll join the stable.
s-l1600-9.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
So, went to view and it came home with me for £100... quite a bit of work needed, seat post does appear to be seized, terrible 700c wheels without long enough drop brakes(!) so rubbing on the tyre (no wonder it's lady owner went over the bars on it!) but it's a very nicely crafted frame and very lightweight. Might start it's own thread when I get to it...

Also happened to pick this lovely Carlton Criterium up from the original owner - for the vast sum of £10.51...(and a fairly long detour home!) Needs a clean and polish and I'll source the correct drop bars for it and it'll join the stable.
View attachment 458407

A good trip all in all then

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Like the Carlton :smile:, sloped chromed crown is a Carlton specialty (nicked by Raleigh)

I've noticed those forks on top of the range sporty Raleighs and thought how nice looking they were, but didn't realise they were a Carlton feature.
That super-bargain Carlton looks like it should be a drop bar bike though. The forks look too "racy" for the flat bars!

midlife

Guru
I've noticed those forks on top of the range sporty Raleighs and thought how nice looking they were, but didn't realise they were a Carlton feature.
That super-bargain Carlton looks like it should be a drop bar bike though. The forks look too "racy" for the flat bars!

Raleigh bought Carlton to add some cachet to their lightweight bikes. I think Raleigh bought *most* of their competitors BITD lol.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's funny how a lot of people are snobbish and like to dis' Raleighs. When I was a kid, more of us rode Raleighs than all the other makes of bikes put together, and if it wasn't for Raleigh, a lot of us probably wouldn't even ride bikes at all.

Last edited:

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Its just the times we are in. Back in the day Raleighs were ten a penny, and they WERE looked down on by racing cyclists, there's no denying, but now they are seen for what they really are - classic steel framed bikes. Properly restored they look amazing. I expect the top of the range Raleighs were as good as the hand built frames we raced with... but they had the 'Raleigh' name on them. I never got to ride one but I did have a Carlton (which were also often sneered at) and I loved it. I didn't race it but it took me thousands of miles commuting to work (15 miles each way at one firm and 18 miles each way at another). I also used it for Sunday runs and evening training sessions (around 40 miles). With it being a little heavier than my race machines it made them seem even faster on race day! lol

netman

Veteran

Yep, the bars are going - I have my eye on some GB Maes drops on ebay for it. They would seem to be most likely original kit. Looks like a 1972/1973 5 speed model as pictured in the catalogue...

1972Criterium (1).jpg

Top Bottom