Spray for Glasses to Keep Water Off

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by stu1903, 17 Jul 2012.

1. stu1903

stu1903 Well-Known Member

Can you get a spray for the lenses of your glasses which makes the rain slide off rather than collect?

I have a pair of Oakley Jawbone glasses with the Transition lenses but when it rains water droplets gather on the lens making it dangerous.

Would I damage the transition lens by putting a spray on them?

2. Norm

Norm Guest

Anything you spray on won't affect the photochromatic qualities, which are caused by silver chloride or silver halide crystals embedded in the glass of the lenses. However, a spray might effect any coatings your lenses have. Rain-X is designed to work on car windscreens and won't work on plastic, Raincoat is designed to work on plastic motorcycle visors and won't work on glass. I've no idea if either will work on Oakleys or whether they would damage the coating on your glasses but, tbh, I'd recommend avoiding either of them and getting a cycling cap. :thumbsup:

stu1903 and Uncle Mort like this.
  3. Slioch

Slioch Male, white, age 57

Motorbike shops sell sprays which are used to stop water beading on helmet visors, so would imagine these could be used safely without damaging your lens.

Or, a zero cost option, would be to gently rub a candle against your lenses to get a small amount of wax residue on them, use the heat from your fingers to spread it across the whole lens, then polish with a soft cloth. Doesn't impair visibility and works a treat.

stu1903 likes this.
  4. gb155

gb155 Fan Boy No More.

I can't ever see £? #@ when it rains

Drives me nuts, especially with the weather we are having now

So ideas like this pluck my interest

stu1903 likes this.
  5. Evilcat

Evilcat Senior Member

Oakley Nano Clear: my Jawbones came with a tiny 'pen' sample of this but you can buy a proper bottle of the stuff for about fifteen quid.

EC

stu1903 likes this.
  6. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

The car stuff needs speed to clear the windows - like 40 plus MPH.

I wear glasses and just wipe them with my finger.

stu1903 likes this.
  7. Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit msg me on kik for android

Oakley Nano Clear for me as everything else I have tried previously damages the coating on the lens, when this happens Oakley's go foggy or misty in direct sunlight.

stu1903 likes this.
  8. tyred

tyred Legendary Member

Surely Elton had the correct solution to this -

elton_john_wiper_glasses.jpg

stu1903 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    stu1903

Just looked into that online and looks like why I'm after and should anything happen to the lens when using it they should sort or out as its their own product.

What did you think of the sample?

10. OP
    OP
    stu1903

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. Think I'll take a look at the Oakley Nano Clear.

11. Melonfish

Melonfish Evil Genius in training.

Fogtech and Raincoat.
    made by motosolutions
    http://www.fogtech.com/
    airsofters swear by this stuff, i've used fogtech extensively and its fantastic others swear by raincoat.
    fogtech inside, raincoat outside and you won't mist or gather rain.
    pete

stu1903 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice