Spray for Glasses to Keep Water Off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stu1903

Über Member
Can you get a spray for the lenses of your glasses which makes the rain slide off rather than collect?

I have a pair of Oakley Jawbone glasses with the Transition lenses but when it rains water droplets gather on the lens making it dangerous.

Would I damage the transition lens by putting a spray on them?

Norm

Anything you spray on won't affect the photochromatic qualities, which are caused by silver chloride or silver halide crystals embedded in the glass of the lenses. However, a spray might effect any coatings your lenses have. Rain-X is designed to work on car windscreens and won't work on plastic, Raincoat is designed to work on plastic motorcycle visors and won't work on glass. I've no idea if either will work on Oakleys or whether they would damage the coating on your glasses but, tbh, I'd recommend avoiding either of them and getting a cycling cap. :thumbsup:

Slioch

Guru
Motorbike shops sell sprays which are used to stop water beading on helmet visors, so would imagine these could be used safely without damaging your lens.

Or, a zero cost option, would be to gently rub a candle against your lenses to get a small amount of wax residue on them, use the heat from your fingers to spread it across the whole lens, then polish with a soft cloth. Doesn't impair visibility and works a treat.

Evilcat

Oakley Nano Clear: my Jawbones came with a tiny 'pen' sample of this but you can buy a proper bottle of the stuff for about fifteen quid.

EC

tyred

Legendary Member
Surely Elton had the correct solution to this -

elton_john_wiper_glasses.jpg

OP
OP
stu1903

stu1903

Über Member
Oakley Nano Clear: my Jawbones came with a tiny 'pen' sample of this but you can buy a proper bottle of the stuff for about fifteen quid.

EC
Just looked into that online and looks like why I'm after and should anything happen to the lens when using it they should sort or out as its their own product.

What did you think of the sample?

Top Bottom