Spraying Brompton in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

pippo

You want a dab of etch primer on it first, rub it back with fine wet and dry before adding the top coat, once dry I would use something like T Cut to cut it back
Ready to go, but need some clarifications (I have never done this before). Most etch primers are sold in spray cans. When you write "a dab" do you mean, spraying on a brush or similar and applying by hand? Also when you write T-cut, I assume you mean the scratch remover not the colour restorer? Am I right?

Many thanks!

Gunk

Guru
Buy a small touch up pot of grey etch primer (Halfords sell it) and carefully brush it on, just very thin coats. Flatten it back with fine wet and dry paper (soaked in water) once the top coat is on, again a couple of thin coats brushed on, then let it harden and cut it back with T Cut colour restorer (it’s a very fine abrasive)

Let us know how you get on

OP
OP
P

pippo

Buy a small touch up pot of grey etch primer (Halfords sell it) and carefully brush it on, just very thin coats. Flatten it back with fine wet and dry paper (soaked in water) once the top coat is on, again a couple of thin coats brushed on, then let it harden and cut it back with T Cut colour restorer (it’s a very fine abrasive)

Let us know how you get on
Got all the bits and bobs and am ready to go. Just a few clarifications:
1. Etch primer. Thin coat, let it dry, repeat. When top coat is dry sand with wet and dry paper? Top coat touch dry or hardened? Which grade paper?
2. Paint. Thin coat, let it dry, repeat. When top coat is hardened, polish with T Cut colour restorer.

Have I got it right?

Many thanks!

Gunk

Guru
Got all the bits and bobs and am ready to go. Just a few clarifications:
1. Etch primer. Thin coat, let it dry, repeat. When top coat is dry sand with wet and dry paper? Top coat touch dry or hardened? Which grade paper?
2. Paint. Thin coat, let it dry, repeat. When top coat is hardened, polish with T Cut colour restorer.

Have I got it right?

Many thanks!

Sounds right, use very fine wet and dry, use it wet, don’t rub too hard.

Touch dry between coats but let the primer dry overnight before applying the orange top coat

midlife

Guru
Way back I used to have some wipes used between coats to help, by 3M I think. I guess it's OK to just make sure it's clean and dry between coats?

Top Bottom