Spring in Rutland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not a fixed gear ride, thought I should get that out of the way first. A gentle paced scenic tour of the best lanes I know. Aiming for the weekend 18th/19th April, not at all bothered which day but for anyone using public transport Saturday may well be the better option, will keep that open for now. If you are used to pothole strewn roads, this will be a pleasant experience.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
how many miles you thinking of ?

and sat would be best if was to do it ?

how many miles you thinking of ?

and sat would be best if was to do it ?
Apologies for the late reply, somewhere between 50 and 60, although at this point it doesn't look very popular. It's a bit odd really, most CC rides are either in the north or south with very few ever in the midlands, even stranger because we have countryside made for cycling, less traffic and smooth roads. I sometimes think that the posters reputation on CC may have a bearing on it, we are not exactly the most sluggish of cyclists but when it comes to leading a CC ride we slow everything right down and make it a social occasion.
So, to reiterate, if you want a decent length ride on good roads with lovely scenery at a pace most on here can manage, come and have a look at Rutland, Multum in Parvo [much in little].
The only other thing to add, is that unless we get high numbers [in which case we form 2 groups], we stick together, arrive at the cafe together and finish the ride together, oh and dr_pink makes exceedingly good cakes at rides end [and will sign autographs :smile:]

Completely and utterly unfit at the moment, not to mention completely buggered back, hips and knees. Will keep it in mind though if you go for the Sunday :smile:

would like to know a bit more- interested and near mr biggs . either day suits me but earlier the better
Not sure what else you want to know, will firm up timings etc later on.
Completely and utterly unfit at the moment, not to mention completely buggered back, hips and knees. Will keep it in mind though if you go for the Sunday :smile:
Great to hear from you again, it doesn't seem that long ago when you came out to watch the race, you must be getting old! Seriously though, I remember you mentioning back problems, might be you end up with a recumbent though it would be a shame to get rid of that nice road bike. Hope you make it, you have 6 weeks to get into shape, not that you will need to be that fit for this ride.

Those dates don't work for me unfortunately (and now I don't have transport, getting there might be a challenge for me, but I will manage it one of these days). However, I'd just like to endorse what @totallyfixed says about the lovely countryside, the ride pace, the good company, and the CAKE! All highly recommended, from my previous experience.
We would love to have you back again, you can certainly stay with us if you ever decide to return and thanks for the kind words.

Last edited:
Great to hear from you again, it doesn't seem that long ago when you came out to watch the race, you must be getting old! Seriously though, I remember you mentioning back problems, might be you end up with a recumbent though it would be a shame to get rid of that nice road bike. Hope you make it, you have 6 weeks to get into shape, not that you will need to be that fit for this ride.

Been diagnosed as having one leg shorter than the other probably from a break years ago, now waiting to see a pediatrist, not helpful being a posty tho.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Been diagnosed as having one leg shorter than the other probably from a break years ago, now waiting to see a pediatrist, not helpful being a posty tho.
I have a significant leg length discrepancy too and have always suffered from backache as a result. I if look at myself in a full-length mirror trying to stand up straight, my pelvis has a big tilt down to the left and my shoulders go the other way to compensate. That obviously gives my spine an s-shaped curve from side to side, as well as the usual front to back curve.

I am generally ok when walking but can't stand still for long before the discomfort starts.

I have shimmed the left Look cleat on my Sidi shoes for my Cannondale and that helps on that bike. It isn't so straightforward with SPD cleats if the cleat is to remain recessed in the sole of the shoe. I use a 5 mm shorter crank on the short leg side on my SPD-equipped Basso and I think that helps. (I only put that crank on after I broke the original crank and didn't have a spare of the original length.)

As for the Rutland ride ... If my old mate in Coventry had not suddenly died after Christmas, I would have been coming down around the time of this ride. Unfortunately, I had to bring forward my spring visit to go to the funeral and I probably won't be back down again until Christmas. I'll try and make next year's non-fixed ride!

A bump is in order I think, just over a month to go. We have recced a route which will include a great view of the longest brick built railway viaduct in the country, plus a visit to Rutland Cycles after a short section of the route around Rutland Water. We will also pass close to where Richard 3rd was born, so another link to the fixed gear ride 3 weeks later and if Red Kites are your thing we visit a village that seems to be the epicentre for them. One of our aims on this ride is to get people out cycling together who have not necessarily ridden with others before.
The distance is somewhere around 55 miles, nothing too strenuous hill wise, proof of that is I will be doing it on a fixed 75" gear so will be very slow on the uphill bits.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I am almost a definite for this ride as I cannot make the May ride subject to which day you go for

Top Bottom