Spring into the Dales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trio25

Über Member
I know I'm never going to be fast or have the smooth acceleration on longers, but I like to see where I am in comparison. I did two time trials last year so I'm thinking I should try a few more last year, they were fun as I was just trying to beat my own time!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
trio25 said:
I know I'm never going to be fast or have the smooth acceleration on longers, but I like to see where I am in comparison. I did two time trials last year so I'm thinking I should try a few more last year, they were fun as I was just trying to beat my own time!
Why not have a go at Yorkshire Velo's Cragg Vale hillclimb on October 18th? I reckon I might have a go at it one year, but only when I'm back to sub 13 stone. Actually, that could easily be this year if I got more serious about counting the calories.

Hey, perhaps all the members of our little CycleChat group should have a go? We could have some sort of handicapping system to give us a chance against the likes of longers and Svendo! For example - we could make longers ride his heavy bike and carry 10 kgs of weights in his pannier. :laugh:

trio25

Über Member
That does look interesting doesn't it! Although I have no idea how you would pace up something like that. Be nice to have something on the calendar in october!

ColinJ

trio25 said:
That does look interesting doesn't it! Although I have no idea how you would pace up something like that. Be nice to have something on the calendar in october!
I know that you've done the climb a few times, but I've done it hundreds of times and I'd say that the first thing you should do is to check out the wind conditions on the moor. Perhaps ride over from Bolton via Blackstone Edge. That would give you a good warm-up. If there is wind (and there often is up there) it is usually a cross-headwind from your front-right as you climb from Cragg Vale.

Break the climb into 3 sections.

Bottom section: Not steep, and fairly sheltered from the wind. You could make a good hard effort up that bit, no problem. Should take 8-10 minutes?

Middle bit: Steeper for only about 200-250 metres. That shouldn't be enough to make much difference as long as you don't go silly and overdo it. Should take no more than 2 minutes?

Top section on the open moorland: This is the bit that could catch you out if you haven't sussed what the wind is doing. If you are lucky enough to go up there when there isn't any wind, you should be able to do it in about 8-10 minutes? The gradient isn't anything to worry about, so just ride at a hard pace that you could just about sustain for that length of time.

If you went up on a bad day, however, it could be really bad. I've taken nearly an hour for the climb on more than one occasion when the headwinds were so bad that I could barely make forward progress! :laugh:

The event records for the climb are well under 20 minutes but last year conditions were really hard. The winning time was just under 20 minutes but many riders took well over 25 minutes.

My best ever time up that climb was 23 minutes, but I timed that from the 'longest gradient' sign in Mytholmroyd, and a little bit further at the top, so it would be equivalent to about 22 minutes on the actual course. I wasn't in peak condition and I didn't bust a gut so I'm making 20 minutes my long-term goal. I think that would be a reasonably respectable time for my age category, though it wouldn't be anywhere near a winning time.

ColinJ

Alun said:
Svendo can't use his bottom 3 gears either, same as Sunday!
Oh no, I'd forgotten about that...!

About 3/4 of the way round the SITD route, Svendo casually remarked that he must be getting tired because he'd just had to use his 21 sprocket for the first time that day. Alun and I had just grovelled up a steep climb behind him in our lowest gears. Bastard! :laugh:

draughton_height.jpg

17_percent_sign.jpg

MSeries

trio25 said:

Plenty of time to practice on the course. Ride it a few times to get to know it, then ride as hard as you can, see where you blow and start making changes, learn where to hold back where you can recover etc.

If you have something left at the top you have more to give and should have tried harder !!!

I shall be going up there on Saturday.

pizzicatooff

Hi,

I've followed the interesting suggestions made by quite a few of you and will consider them carefully. I rode the event yesterday and although there wasn't much sunshine, it was warm and the roads were fairly quiet.

I'm glad that on balance most of you liked the changes to the route. I like to alter it now and then to keep riders on their toes, as well as for other reasons.

Spring Into The Dales started out as a CTC Standard Ride of 60 miles in 2000. The route was a collaboration between Carl Kershaw and myself. We took the plunge to convert it to an Audax for 2001, picking the 3rd Sunday in April, and the field on the first time start was decimated by a fierce hailstorm on the ascent away from Hebden Bridge.

Further route changes to remove main road stretches took place over subsequent years, and in 2006, we introduced the climb through Storiths which I really like myself. A slight increase in climbing gave an extra quarter AAA point, making riders eligible for a Gold Grimpeur medal. I know of one rider who has bronze, silver, and gold grimpeur medals, all obtained through this event. in different years.

Unfortunately some social changes such as Sunday pub opening hours and Sunday shopping have transformed Sundays from a quiet traffic day in some parts.

I have been concerned about the safety of the Storiths climb away from the ford as a significant number of drivers of 4x4s roar down this slope and do not yield pace or space to cyclists. In the 3 years we have used this climb, one rider has been hospitalised because of a collision and several others have reported near misses.

While this wasn't the reason for changing the route it was a contributory factor influencing a change to a road that I also particularly like: the gated road to Halton East.

Yes, I'm aware of the shock that the traffic in Keighley and its environs brings on and have wondered a lot about re-routing to avoid it, but I'm aware of how much climbing would be added if I put the route straight through to the Slippery Ford area. To give you an idea of how much extra climbing there would be, consider the major changes this year to the route of the companion event Leap Into The Aire. That was reduced from 60 kim to 53 km by sending it to the Slippery Ford area rather than the main road from Laneshawbridge via Cowling and Crosshills to Keighley. The impetus for that change related to increases in traffic through Crosshills and an incident last year when a rider was attacked by a motorist with the car being used as a weapon. Although the distance has been reduced by 7 km, the ascent has increased by 75 metres to 1325 metres.

The easy answer to people who want to go via Slippery Ford is to say that you are free to do so as the recommended route is not compulsory, but I recognise that the navigational difficulties demand a little help to do that.

Right from the start as an audax event, Rossi's Cafe in Keighley have been very helpful and accommodating as a control. They usually shut at 3 pm on a Sunday but are always prepared to stay open for us and I don't want to jeopardise that. If I were to re-route so that the event didn't go past there, that attitude might change and I could have difficulty finding a control for the Leap Into The Aire riders.

Blonde's point that this road into Keighley isn't all that busy really is well made; it's the contrast with what you've ridden before that is so stark. In any case, there are 2 shorter routes to Rossi's, one very busy, the other involving much ascent, neither of which would be welcome.The higher one wouldn't get scenery points because the busy one is shorter.

Personally, if I could get rid of the Ingrow climb, I'd be a lot happier. However I think that at the moment I am testing a significant number of people's tolerance to ascents (Colin suggests that it is at his limits right now) which might affect the entry numbers.

I think that the solution is to offer a third event which controls at Rossi's and then uses an additional information control to force those riders wanting to take part to go over to the Slippery Ford or even Goose Eye area, then Haworth, emerging at Oxenhope, and I'll have a look at practical possibilities. It would need to have more altitude points to justify its existence. A posssible name would be Spring Higher Into The Dales, and the obvious acronym would amply illustrate where riders' thoughts would be by the time they get to Oxenhope.

I've finished keying in entry details etc., this morning, after spending most of this week at a conference. We mis-counted the number of entries on the day. The total number of riders taking part across both events on Sunday was 200 exactly.

Regards

Chris

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Hello Chris,

That was my first time for this event and found it a wonderful ride and very well run with an excellent and friendly start, controls and finish with a lovely and generous spread to finish.

I would like to think I will make it a regular event from here on in, I'm new to Audax and this one has made an excellent impression on me and I hope some of the others too.

Thankyou very much.

I thought the route was perfect, I could be tempted by a slightly longer and hillier route but would have no qualms about riding that same route again.

Well done with the weather too.

Svendo

Guru
I thought this was a great route. I'm fairly comfortable with A roads really. Regarding Cragg Vale, I've made it up in 34x16 with a bit of tail wind!

ColinJ

Landslide said:
Agh, bad news. :biggrin:
Best wishes to all he's left behind, and let's hope what he did for cycling is carried on into the future.
Seconded... ;)

Those busy A-roads really worry me. Every year on SITD I sprint round the roundabout between Silsden and Steeton to get off the damn thing ASAP and I stare straight into the eyes of the drivers further round on the left to make sure that they've realised that I'm coming and I watch like a hawk for any of them trying to pull out in front of me.

asterix

Comrade Member
Sorry to hear the news. The Keighley stretch was not great and I was glad to get through as part of a bunch who obviously knew how best to proceed.

During the same ride I'm certain I prevented a nasty head-on between 2 cars. I was on a tight narrow bend I heard a car accelerating to overtake on the bend. Being on the apex I could see an oncoming white Micra about to enter the bend and stuck out my hand. The bronze Audi behind stopped his overtake very suddenly, no doubt much to the relief of his wife and children who were with him.

Other than that nearly all other drivers I saw behaved with restraint and courtesy but it only takes one, doesn't it.

Top Bottom