Spring into the Dales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trio25

Über Member
It was very hilly. It's a long time since I've done that much climbing. I enjoyed dropping back into HB. I was thinking to myself I climbed this on the way out!

How is everyone today? I did lots of stretching last night and it seemed to work legs feel better than when I finished.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Has anyone else who did this yesterday noticed a profusion of insect bites on them today? I've got several raised red dots on my arms and in the shower this morning (well you've got to show willing once a year, haven't you?) I saw a few more on my thighs which have come up overnight. It was tough enough with the blood I had without some of it being nicked by Yorkshire's insect population!

Alun

Guru
My backs aching badly this morning, I'll have to go to a Pilates class !
Otherwise I'm OK apart from a bit of sunburn!!

trio25

Über Member
I didn't get bitten too much, I noticed loads of the things trying to fly into my mouth on the way home though!

trio25

Über Member
Yes I have tanlines starting, which I'm excited about. In fact for me the bottom section of my legs are brown - I don't really tan!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was feeling pretty tired last night so I didn't drink all the celebratory beers I bought (yes, I know I'm supposed to be cutting down!).

I was telling Svendo and Alun that I burn easily so I'd used a factor 30 suncream, but even with that, my face is a bit red today. I have a tanline across my forehead where my bandana was.

I usually get troubled by insects (if they are about) but didn't yesterday. The suncream bottle said that it was insect-repellent and it seemed to work.

Trio - If you think SITD was hilly, you must have a go at the sister event in October - Season of Mists. That has about 10% more climbing in about 10% less distance! Ask Noodley about it! :cry:

Colin - good to see you again yesterday. What did you make of this year's route variation?

trio25

Über Member
I burn easily as well, I had factor 50 on my face, its still a little pink!

that was a hilly ride, always up for another challenge though!

ColinJ

Warburton said:
Colin - good to see you again yesterday. What did you make of this year's route variation?
Oh, hi Andrew! Yes, it was nice to see you again, if only briefly.

I thought the new sections were fantastic and I told SITD organiser Chris Crossland that at the finish! The only thing I didn't like was the fact that we inevitably had to use a couple of short stretches of busy, fast A-road between them. Thinking about it though, we had to cross those same roads on the old route, just further east.

In a perfect world, the route would bypass Silsden and Keighley. I'd really got into riding in the idyllic, sunny, spring-lamb-fest that was the Dales yesterday and my senses felt assaulted as we emerged back into the noisy, smelly, aggressive real world of those towns.

I might do the route again over the summer, but I will skip those towns. I like the look of: Draughton Moor, Kildwick, Sutton-in-Craven, Slippery Ford, Oakworth, Haworth, then rejoining the SITD route at Oxenhope. I think Chris would be lynched if he tried taking the SITD riders that way though! It will make a hard route even tougher, but I'd like to have a go at it. I will wait until I'm a bit fitter because the actual SITD route is about as much as I can currently cope with.

Are you doing the Brian Robinson Challenge at the weekend? I'll be doing it with John Birkby if you fancy saying hello at the start. If you aren't doing it, watch out for us as we ride through your village later on!

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
trio25 said:
How is everyone today?

A bad nights sleep and I felt horrible this am, a commute in and loads of food* and water have made me feel quite good.

* I weighed my butty box last night and it was 2kg - I've only got a banana and an apple left.

ColinJ said:
Oh, hi Andrew! Yes, it was nice to see you again, if only briefly.

I thought the new sections were fantastic and I told SITD organiser Chris Crossland that at the finish! The only thing I didn't like was the fact that we inevitably had to use a couple of short stretches of busy, fast A-road between them. Thinking about it though, we had to cross those same roads on the old route, just further east.

Are you doing the Brian Robinson Challenge at the weekend? I'll be doing it with John Birkby if you fancy saying hello at the start. If you aren't doing it, watch out for us as we ride through your village later on!

Yes - I thought it worked better especially missing out the unmade footpath and footbridge / steps, but the climb out of Storriths was a real feature of the old route.

I'm not riding on Sunday but if the weather's nice I'll nip down and watch for a bit. Have a good one!

Landslide

Rare Migrant
ColinJ said:
I might do the route again over the summer, but I will skip those towns. I like the look of: Draughton Moor, Kildwick, Sutton-in-Craven, Slippery Ford, Oakworth, Haworth, then rejoining the SITD route at Oxenhope. I think Chris would be lynched if he tried taking the SITD riders that way though! It will make a hard route even tougher, but I'd like to have a go at it.

Why not suggest it to Chris? These rides are meant to be a challenge!:evil:
I really was surprised at how well I went yesterday, but I reckon I'd easily have coped with a bit more climbing.

ColinJ

Landslide said:
Why not suggest it to Chris? These rides are meant to be a challenge!:evil:
I really was surprised at how well I went yesterday, but I reckon I'd easily have coped with a bit more climbing.
Well I know that Chris lurks about on here from time to time, so he might pop up and explain why such a devilish scheme isn't a good idea! :tongue:

I think a lot of people might be put off by any extra difficulty, and there would be the problem of finding a replacement for Rossi's cafe. That climb out of Keighley is nice and steady. I could put up with not being surrounded by greenery for a few kms, it's just the traffic that is a pain, especially when you get the odd idiot cutting you up or shouting at you.

Top Bottom